Instant Pot Mexican Smashed Pinto Beans
Instant Pot Smashed Pinto Beans are simple to make and economical. They are a favorite addition to your Cinco de Mayo festivities.
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 cups (16 ounces) dried pinto beans, rinsed and picked over
- 1 medium onion, peeled and cut into quarters pee
- 1 jalapeño pepper, spine and seeds removed and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried cumin
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth (See Tip 1)
- 1 cup water
Place all ingredients in Instant Pot. Cover, making sure that the steam vent is closed. Select Bean/Chili. This setting is for 30 minutes on normal pressure.
At end of cooking cycle, allow Instant Pot to depressurize normally. Remove lid. Stir to combine ingredients.
Remove about 1 cup of liquid; set aside.
Process beans with immersion blender, until smooth. If necessary add reserved liquid to desired consistency. Correct seasonings. (See Tip 2)
Yield: 6 servings (See Tip 3)
- To make this vegetarian, substitute water or vegetable broth for the chicken broth.
- As the smashed beans cool, they thicken considerably. Therefore, hold on to the reserved liquid. You'll probably need some of it to thin out the mixture.
- As you can probably tell from the picture, I love to put shredded cheese on top of the hot Smashed Pinto Beans and use tortilla chips to scoop it up!
Calories: 263kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 1g | Sodium: 543mg | Potassium: 1100mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 75IU | Vitamin C: 21.9mg | Calcium: 89mg | Iron: 3.7mg