Southern Style Potato Salad with a Twist
We do a lot of things right in the South, especially when it comes to Potato Salad! This classic Southern Style Potato Salad with a Twist is perfect for Easter brunch or dinner, or anytime for that matter. It’s good served warm, but even better served cold after the flavors have had a chance to meld together!
Prep Time25 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time45 mins
Servings: 12 servings
- 4 pounds russet potatoes peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 8 cups)
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- 3 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons sweet pickle or gherkin juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 to 1 medium red or sweet yellow onion finely chopped (about a cup - more or less depending on taste)
- 5 stalks celery finely chopped (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 8 small sweet pickles or gherkins shredded
- 1 medium carrot peeled and shredded
- 4 hard-boiled eggs peeled; whites chopped and yolks crumbled (See Tip 1)
- Paprika and chopped chives for garnish if desired
Add water to cover potatoes and 1 tablespoon Kosher salt. Cook potatoes in salted water until done (should be soft, but not mushy), 15 to 20 minutes. Pour into colander; rinse well with cold water and drain well. Place in a large bowl.
In a medium bowl, mix mayonnaise and remaining ingredients, stirring well to combine. Pour mayonnaise mixture over potatoes; toss gently with a wooden spoon until potatoes are thoroughly coated.
Plunge a potato masher five or six times into the mixture, to lightly break up potatoes. Cover, and chill thoroughly. If desired, garnish with paprika and chopped chives or chopped parsley. Yield: 10 to 12 servings.
Calories: 278kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 70mg | Sodium: 268mg | Potassium: 714mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1025IU | Vitamin C: 9.4mg | Calcium: 38mg | Iron: 1.6mg