Make Ahead Duchess Potatoes
Simple to make and elegant to serve, these Duchess Potatoes freeze beautifully for a make-ahead side dish for your holiday or any time feast.
Servings: 12 Duchess Potatoes
- 2 pounds Russet potatoes
- ¼ cup (2 ounces, ½ stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 Tablespoon heavy cream (See Tip 1)
Wash potatoes; prick all over with fork. Microwave for 18 minutes, turning twice, or until fully cooked. Let cool 10 minutes.
Cut potatoes in half; scoop pulp into potato ricer and process into a large bowl. Add butter and mix well with a wooden spoon until the butter is melted and well blended (do not use an electric mixer). Add salt, freshly ground pepper, and nutmeg; stir to combine. Correct the seasonings.
Add egg yolks, one at a time; mix well with a wooden spoon until well blended. Add cream; mix well with wooden spoon until well blended.
While still warm, place the mixture in a pastry bag with a 1M star tip. Pipe onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper or non-stick aluminum foil. May be made in advance up to this point and refrigerated or frozen. (See Tip 2)
Preheat oven to 400°F. Brush potatoes lightly with egg wash. Bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: 12 Duchess Potatoes.
- You may need to add another tablespoon of cream to achieve the proper piping consistency of the potatoes.
- To freeze the Duchess Potatoes, I pipe them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Then, I put the piped Duchess Potatoes on the baking sheet in the freezer. Once they are frozen, I transfer the Duchess Potatoes to a Ziploc bag and place them in the freezer. To heat, I place the frozen Duchess Potatoes on a baking sheet and brush them with an egg wash. Then, I place them in a preheated 400°F oven for 35 minutes. If the Duchess Potatoes have thawed, then I bake them with the egg wash for 30 minutes in a preheated 400°F oven.
Calories: 107kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 44mg | Sodium: 200mg | Potassium: 318mg | Vitamin A: 180IU | Vitamin C: 4.3mg | Calcium: 15mg | Iron: 0.7mg