Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
Beef Stroganoff is amazingly good. It's even better the next day as leftovers. The beef slow cooks in the slow cooker, resulting in fork tender beef.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time4 hrs 20 mins
Total Time4 hrs 40 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 pounds beef chuck roast
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion minced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 8 ounces white mushrooms cleaned and sliced
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 Tablespoons sliced green onion tops for garnish optional
Remove any fat and gristle from the chuck roast and cut into 1 to 2-inch pieces. Set aside.
Combine beef broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, and mustard in 2-cup measuring cup. Set aside.
Place flour, salt, pepper, and thyme is ziploc bag. Add beef; shake to coat. Heat oil in 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Brown beef in single layer, about 6 minutes. Drain browned beef on paper towels; repeat with remaining beef.
Sauté onions in skillet for 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook for 30 seconds until fragrant. Add 2 tablespoons of remaining seasoned flour; stir to combine. Cook for 1 minute. Add wine; cook, stirring constantly until thickened. Add beef broth mixture; cook stirring constantly until mixture boils.
Transfer beef to pan of slow cooker. Pour on the sauce. Cook on high for 4 hours, or until beef is tender. (See Note 1)
Fifteen minutes before serving, sauté mushrooms in 1 Tablespoon melted unsalted butter over high heat until browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Add to Stroganoff mixture.
Whisk sour cream with 1/4 cup of Stroganoff sauce.(See Note 2) Add to Stroganoff mixture; stir until well combined. Heat briefly. Correct seasonings. Garnish with sliced green onion tops. Serve over buttered noodles. Yield: 4 to 6 servings.
- Note 1: Because of the amount of fat in beef chuck, there will likely be quite a bit of grease that needs to be removed when the cooking is finished. To easily remove the excess grease, dip a paper towel into the pan. The paper towel will soak up the excess grease.
- Note 2: If you add the sour cream to the hot liquid, it will likely not totally combine. For a velvety smooth sauce, temper the sour cream by whisking it with about 1/4 of the hot liquid, and then pouring the tempered sour cream into the hot liquid.
- Note 3: Leftover Beef Stroganoff makes incredible leftovers.
Calories: 466kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 119mg | Sodium: 733mg | Potassium: 902mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 240IU | Vitamin C: 3.7mg | Calcium: 57mg | Iron: 4.2mg