Chicken Chow Mein (adapted from Cook's Country)
Chicken Chow Mein is a delicious and easy dish to prepare
Servings: 6 servings
- 8 ounce package dried Chinese noodles
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut crosswise into ¼-inch-thick slices
- 3 Tablespoons Chinese rice wine or dry sherry, divided
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch, divided
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 Tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced thin
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into 2-inch matchsticks
- 2 celery ribs, cut on bias into ¼-inch-thick slices
- 4 scallions, white and green parts separated and sliced thin
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 4 ounces (2 cups) mung bean sprouts
Bring 4 quarts water to boil in large pot. Add noodles to boiling water and cook until tender, 3 minutes. Drain noodles, rinse thoroughly with cold water, then drain again. Toss noodles with sesame oil in bowl; set aside.
Meanwhile, dissolve baking soda in 1/2 cup cold water in second bowl. Add chicken and let sit at room temperature for 15 minutes. Drain chicken, rinse under cold water, then drain again. Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Combine 1 Tablespoon rice wine or dry sherry, 2 teaspoons cornstarch, and chicken in bowl; set aside.
Whisk chicken broth, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, remaining 2 Tablespoons rice wine or dry sherry, and remaining 1 teaspoon cornstarch together in bowl; set aside.
Heat oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium high heat until just smoking. Add chicken and cook, stirring frequently, until opaque, about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and carrots and cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 2 minutes. Add celery and cook until crisp-tender, about 1 minute. Add scallion whites, garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Whisk broth mixture to recombine, then add to skillet and cook until thickened and chicken is cooked through, about 2 minutes. Add bean sprouts and noodles and toss until sauce evenly coats noodles, about 1 minute. Transfer to platter and sprinkle with scallion greens. Serve.
Yield: 6 servings.
Calories: 352kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 36mg | Sodium: 1744mg | Potassium: 531mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 1855IU | Vitamin C: 7.5mg | Calcium: 38mg | Iron: 2.5mg