Instant Pot Mexican Rice with Black Beans
Instant Pot Mexican Rice with Black Beans is an amazing one-pot meal that's just in time for Cinco de Mayo. It's a meal in itself and is quite versatile. Dress it up with some shredded chicken, include it in a burrito, or lay enchiladas on top before they're baked. You're in for a real treat regardless of the way that you serve it.
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup (7 ounces) basmati rice, rinsed until the water turns clear, drained and allowed to dry
- 1 cup minced onion (about 1 medium onion)
- 1/2 cup chopped celery (1 to 2 stalks)
- 1 jalapeño pepper, membrane and seeds removed and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth (See Tip 1)
- 10 ounce can Rotel Original diced tomatoes with green chilies, drained
- 15.5 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 Tablespoon chopped cilantro or Italian parsley for garnish, optional
Add olive oil to Instant Pot. Select sauté function with normal heat. When oil is hot, add rice. Cook for 4 minutes until lightly browned.
Add onions, celery, jalapeños, garlic, oregano, chili powder, cumin, and salt. Stir to combine. Cook for 2 minutes.
Add chicken broth; stir to deglaze the pan.
Add the drained Rotel tomatoes and green chilies on top of the rice. DO NOT STIR. (See Tip 2)
Secure the lid on the Instant Pot; make sure that the steam valve is shut. Select manual, high pressure and 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, allow to depressurize naturally for 2 minutes.
After 2 minutes, remove the lid. Add the drained black beans; stir to combine. Return lid to Instant Pot with steam valve open. Allow to sit for 3 additional minutes. Remove the lid; fluff rice with a fork.
If desired, garnish with chopped cilantro or Italian parsley. Yield: 6 servings.
- You can easily make this delicious dish vegetarian by replacing the chicken broth with water.
- The reason that you don't want to stir in the tomatoes is that they will likely burn if they come in contact with the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- My Instant Pot is the DUO60 6 quart model.
Calories: 281kcal | Carbohydrates: 48g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 5g | Sodium: 225mg | Potassium: 478mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 190IU | Vitamin C: 9.7mg | Calcium: 61mg | Iron: 2.7mg