Easy Mini Corn Dogs
Mini Corn Dogs are amazingly easy to make and a perfect treat for any time - think of the delicious food that you munch on at the fair and arts festivals! These mini corn dogs are, as the name suggests, a mini version of the ever popular corn dogs from the fair and arts festivals, but in the comfort of your home.
Servings: 16 Mini Corn Dogs
- 1 pound (16-ounces) hot dogs of your choice
- 16 Wooden skewers (See Tip 1)
- 1 cup (5 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (6 ounces) yellow cornmeal
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup (8 ounces) buttermilk (See Tips 2 and 3)
- Vegetable oil for frying
Thoroughly dry the hot dogs and cut them in half. Place the hot dogs on a wooden skewer. (See Tip 4)
Whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the egg and buttermilk and whisk to combine. Pour the batter into a tall glass to make dipping the skewered hot dogs easier. Allow the batter to sit for 15-20 minutes.
Heat 2 to 3 inches of oil to 375°F. Working in batches, dip each skewered hot dog into the batter and turn to evenly coat. Carefully add coated hot dog hot oil. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until golden brown. (See Tips 5 and 6)
Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.
- You need to be very careful if you use wooden skewers with pointed ends. If you're going to be serving these to children, you should probably break off the pointed end to avoid injury.
- You can make your own buttermilk by adding 1 tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice to 1 cup of milk. Stir and let sit for about 5 minutes.
- If the batter is too thick, add another tablespoon or two of the buttermilk.
- You can also use food-grade popsicle sticks or lollipop sticks. Just make sure that what you use is food-grade.
- The reason for working in batches is to ensure a consistent temperature of the oil.
- I used an electric fryer. You can also use a Dutch oven or large saucepan with a thermometer to ensure a consistent temperature of the oil.
Calories: 161kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 35mg | Sodium: 292mg | Potassium: 211mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 54IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 72mg | Iron: 2mg