Make Ahead Breakfast Enchiladas
Make Ahead Breakfast Enchiladas is the perfect dish for your Easter breakfast or brunch. It's also the perfect dish for Mother's Day. This breakfast enchilada recipe is full of cheesy, sausage and bacon goodness.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time50 mins
Total Time1 hr 10 mins
Course: Breakfast, Brunch
- 8 slices bacon, cooked, drained and crumbled, divided
- 12 ounces sausage, cooked, crumbled and drained (See Tip 1)
- 1 ½ cups (6-ounces) shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese, divided (See Tip 2)
- 6 6 to 7-inch flour tortillas
- 1 ½ cups (12-ounces) half and half (See Tip 3)
- 4 extra large eggs
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
Spray an 8 x 10-inch casserole dish with non-stick spray.
Reserve 2 tablespoons of crumbled bacon for sprinkling on top of enchiladas.
Combine sausage, ¾ cup of shredded cheese and crumbled bacon minus the 2 tablespoons reserved for sprinkling on the top of the enchiladas.
Place about ½ cup of the sausage mixture down the center of a flour tortilla. Tightly roll up and place seam side down in prepared casserole dish. Repeat with remaining sausage mixture and tortillas.
Whisk together the half and half, eggs, flour, salt and pepper. Pour over enchiladas in the casserole dish. Cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate overnight. (See Tip 4)
Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake breakfast enchiladas, covered, in preheated oven for 40 minutes. Remove aluminum foil; sprinkle on remaining ¾ cup of shredded cheese and reserved bacon bits. Bake uncovered for 10 additional minutes or until cheese is melted.
Remove from oven. Allow to cool for 5 to 10 minutes and serve.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings. (See Tip 5)
- I used Jimmy Dean hot sausage in this recipe, but any good quality sausage can be used.
- Feel free to substitute sharp or regular cheddar cheese, Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack cheese.
- You can substitute whole milk for the half and half.
- This dish is best if it's allowed to sit in the refrigerator for at least an hour prior to baking, but overnight is best.
- Leftovers if any can be reheated or frozen.
Calories: 527kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 39g | Saturated Fat: 17g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 13g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 230mg | Sodium: 955mg | Potassium: 333mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 742IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 335mg | Iron: 2mg