Sausage, Peppers and Onions
Sausage, Peppers and Onions is a delicious dish that's easy to make and produces amazing leftovers. Italian sausages are cooked with a medley of peppers and onions and finished with a tomato sauce flavored with wine. Serve it at dinner over pasta or at lunch on a hoagie roll. Either way, you won't be disappointed.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time38 mins
Total Time43 mins
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound Italian sausage links (See Tip 1)
- ½ red bell pepper, seeds and membrane removed and sliced (See Tip 2)
- ½ yellow bell pepper, seeds and membrane removed and sliced (See Tip 2)
- ½ green bell pepper, seeds and membrane removed and sliced (See Tip 2)
- 1 large onion, sliced (about 2 cups)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup Dry Marsala wine (See Tip 3)
- 14.5 ounce can petit diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
Heat olive oil in a 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium heat. When hot, add sausages. Brown on both sides, about 10 minutes total. Remove sausage and drain well.
Add peppers and onions to the same skillet. Cook over medium heat until tender, about 7 minutes.
Add garlic, salt, pepper, oregano and basil. Cook for 30 seconds or until garlic is fragrant.
Add Marsala wine, petit diced tomatoes and tomato paste. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Add browned sausages and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
Correct the seasonings. Serve over pasta prepared according to package directions.
Yield: 5 servings.
- You can use sweet, mild or hot Italian sausage in this recipe. You can also use turkey Italian sausage.
- Feel free to use whatever combination of bell peppers you have on hand.
- You can substitute Madeira, dry sherry, red wine or white wine for the Marsala wine. You can also omit the Marsala wine and use instead 1 cup of chicken broth.
Calories: 497kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 34g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 17g | Cholesterol: 69mg | Sodium: 1062mg | Potassium: 712mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 721IU | Vitamin C: 60mg | Calcium: 72mg | Iron: 3mg