Irish Potato Leek Soup
This Irish Potato Leek Soup is a crowd pleasing soup that is perfect for St. Patrick's Day! In fact, it's probably the most delicious Potato Leek Soup that you'll ever taste! What's even better is that this awesome soup is easy to make, and equally good served either hot or cold.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 Tablespoon butter unsalted
- 4 cups leeks, sliced, white and green parts (3 to 4 large)
- 4 cups potatoes, peeled and diced (about 1 ½ pounds)
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth (See Tip 1)
- 1 ¼ teaspoons Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup frozen green peas (optional - to provide green color for the soup)
- 1 cup (8-ounces) whole milk
- ½ cup (4-ounces) heavy cream
- ½ cup (2-ounces) Dubliner cheese, shredded (See Tip 2)
Melt butter in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add leeks; sauté 5 minutes, being careful not to allow the leeks to brown.
Add the potatoes, chicken broth, salt, and pepper.
Bring to a boil; cover and reduce the heat to medium low. Cook 20 to 25 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft.
Once potatoes are soft, add the green peas if desired; cook 2 additional minutes uncovered. Remove Dutch oven from heat; allow soup to cool for 20 minutes.
Purée in batches in blender.
Wipe out Dutch oven. Add puréed soup, milk, cream and cheese. Cook over medium heat until cheese is melted.
Yield: 6 servings. (See Tip 3)
- To make this soup vegetarian, substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth.
- May use white cheddar cheese in place of the Dubliner cheese.
- This soup is delicious served both hot and cold.
Calories: 306kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 46mg | Sodium: 266mg | Potassium: 961mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 1590IU | Vitamin C: 27.9mg | Calcium: 215mg | Iron: 6.4mg