Irish Potato Leek Soup
This Irish Potato Leek Soup is a crowd pleasing soup that is perfect for St. Patrick's Day! In fact, it's probably the most delicious Potato Leek Soup that you'll ever taste! What's even better is that this awesome soup is easy to make, and equally good served either hot or cold.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 Tablespoon butter unsalted
- 4 cups leeks sliced white and green parts (3 large)
- 4 cups potatoes peeled and diced (about 1-1/4 pounds)
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth (See Tip 1)
- 1-1/4 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas optional - to provide green color for the soup
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup Dubliner cheese shredded
Melt butter in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add leeks; sauté 5 minutes, being careful not to allow the leeks to brown.
Add the potatoes, chicken broth, salt, and pepper.
Bring to a boil; cover and reduce the heat to medium low. Cook 20 to 25 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft. If desired, add the green peas; cook 2 additional minutes.
Purée in batches in blender.
Wipe out Dutch oven; return the soup to the Dutch oven set over medium heat.
Add the milk, cream, and cheese. Cook until the cheese is melted.
Yield: 6 servings
- To make this vegetarian, substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth.
Calories: 306kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 46mg | Sodium: 266mg | Potassium: 961mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 1590IU | Vitamin C: 27.9mg | Calcium: 215mg | Iron: 6.4mg