Spicy New Orleans Jambalaya
Nothing speaks classic New Orleans cuisine like Spicy New Orleans Jambalaya. Laizzez les bons temps rouler with this delicious one-pot meal that's perfect for Mardi Gras. It combines rice, shrimp, chicken, and andouille sausage in a spicy tomato sauce enhanced by the holy trinity.
- 1 Tablespoon Creole seasoning divided
- 12 ounces peeled and deveined medium shrimp about 2 cups
- 12 ounces skinless and boneless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat and cut into 1-inch pieces about 2 cups
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell peppers
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 12 ounces andouille sausage about 2 cups sliced
- 1-1/2 cups long-grain rice rinsed
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Hot sauce to taste optional
- Minced parsley for garnish optional
Combine shrimp and 1/2 tablespoon of Creole seasoning in a small bowl; combine chicken and remaining 1/2 tablespoon of Creole seasoning in another small bowl. Set aside.
Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add shrimp; cook for 3 minutes or until shrimp starts to turn pink. Remove from pan; shrimp will not be fully cooked at this point.
Add onions, celery, and bell pepper to Dutch oven. Sauté over medium heat for 10 minutes. Add garlic; cook for 30 seconds, or until fragrant. Add chicken that has been mixed with Creole seasonings. Cook 5 minutes. Add andouille sausage; stir to combine. Cook 2 to 3 additional minutes.
Add rice; stir to combine. Add diced tomatoes, chicken broth, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper; stir to combine. Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to medium low; cover pan and cook for 15 minutes. Add shrimp; cover pan and cook for 10 additional minutes, or until rice is done and liquid has been absorbed. If necessary add additional broth.
Add hot sauce to taste if desired. Correct seasonings.
Garnish with minced parsley if desired.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings.
Calories: 334kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 170mg | Sodium: 1254mg | Potassium: 576mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 415IU | Vitamin C: 23.2mg | Calcium: 104mg | Iron: 2.6mg