King Cake (Bread Machine)
King Cake is a quintessential confection that is decorated in Mardi Gras colors. Purple signifies justice; green denotes faith; and gold or yellow signifies power. Traditionally, a tiny plastic baby is hidden in the King Cake. Whoever, ends up with the baby is named “King” for a day and bound by custom to host the next party and provide the King Cake.
- ¾ cup (6-ounces) milk
- 4 ½ Tablespoons (1.2-ounces) bread flour
King Cake Dough
- 1 cup (8-ounces) milk
- 6 Tablespoons (3-ounces) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 3 cups (15-ounces) bread flour
- 1 Tablespoon bread machine yeast
- ¾ cup (5.625-ounces) light brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons bread flour
- 5 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 Tablespoons (2-ounces) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2-½ cups (10-ounces) confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Purple, green and yellow food glitter
Whisk together ¾ cup milk and 4 ½ tablespoons bread flour in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly until a paste forms, about 5 minutes. The Tangzhong is ready when a spoon leaves a line in the pan.
When the dough cycle is finished, remove the dough and roll out to a 10×28-inch rectangle on a floured surface. Trim the edges as needed. Spread the cinnamon/sugar mixture on the dough to within 1-inch of the edges.
Starting at one of the long edges, roll the dough tightly into a 28-inch log. Pinch the edges to seal the log. Place the rolled log onto the prepared baking sheet, seam side down, and form the dough into a ring. Moisten the ends of the dough with a little water; pinch the two ends together to seal.
Brush king cake with egg wash. Using a sharp knife, slash the top of the king cake to allow for steam to excape. Let rise in a warm place for about 20 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake the king cake in preheated oven until the top is golden brown, about 30 minutes.
Remove the kinf cake from the oven, and cool for about 10 minutes on a wire rack set over a rimmed baking sheet. While the cake is still warm, spoon the icing onto the cake, allowing drips of icing to dribble down the sides of the cake. Immediately, sprinkle purple, green and yellow food glitter on the cake. Yield: One King Cake.
Calories: 389kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 44mg | Sodium: 359mg | Potassium: 113mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 28g | Vitamin A: 536IU | Calcium: 77mg | Iron: 1mg