Old Fashioned Caramel Corn
Old Fashioned Caramel Corn is sweet, crispy, and totally addictive. When stored in an airtight container, the caramel corn will keep for several weeks, if it lasts that long!
Servings: 12 servings
- 8 cups fresh popped popcorn (about ½ cup unpopped corn) (See Tip 1)
- 1 cup (6-ounces) unsalted dry roasted peanuts (See Tip 2)
- 5 Tablespoons (2.5-ounces) unsalted butter
- ½ cup (3.75-ounces) light brown sugar
- ¼ cup (2.75-ounces) light corn syrup
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt (See Tip 3)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
Preheat oven to 250° F.
Place popcorn in a large bowl; add peanuts to the top. Do not stir. Set aside.
Heat the butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, and salt in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, stirring until butter is melted. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, undisturbed and uncovered for 5 minutes.
Remove saucepan from heat and stir in vanilla extract and baking soda. (See Tip 4)
Pour the caramel over the peanuts and popcorn; stir to coat.
Spread the mixture in a large disposable aluminum pan. Bake for one hour, removing every 15 minutes to stir.
Spread the mixture onto parchment paper to cool. It may seem sticky at first but will dry as it cools.
Store in airtight container. (See Tip 5)
Yield: About 9 cups.
- You can use Unflavored Skinny Pop rather than popping your own. Because the Skinny Pop is lightly salted, omit the salt from the caramel mixture. I would recommend against using store-bought microwave popcorn because of the additives.
- Feel free to use different nuts to suit your taste. Also, you can omit the nuts all together.
- If using regular table salt, reduce the amount to ½ teaspoon.
- Be careful when stirring the caramel after the addition of the vanilla extract and baking soda. It will boil up significantly.
- If kept in an airtight container the caramel corn should keep for about a week.
Calories: 199kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 13mg | Sodium: 236mg | Potassium: 120mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 160IU | Calcium: 17mg | Iron: 1mg