Irish Stacked Potato Bites
The Irish are famous for their potato dishes. These incredible Irish Stacked Potato Bites are no exception. They’re easy to make, and perfect for St. Patrick’s Day. If they’re not gobbled up out of the oven, the Stacked Potato Bites also freeze and reheat beautifully.
Servings: 12 Irish Stacked Potato Bites
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (See Tips 1 and 2)
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) Dubliner cheese, shredded (See Tip 3)
Preheat oven to 375° F.
Spray wells of muffin pan with nonstick vegetable spray. Set aside.
Combine melted butter, heavy cream, salt, pepper, and garlic in a small bowl. Set aside.
Cut potato slices into even diameter using a 2 or 2-1/4 inch biscuit cutter. (See Tip 4)
Place five slices in muffin well. Top with 1 teaspoon of butter/cream mixture, and 1/2 tablespoon shredded cheese. Place additional five slices of potatoes on top of bottom layer. Top with 1 teaspoon of butter/cream mixture and 1/2 tablespoon shredded cheese.
Loosely cover muffin pan with aluminum foil. Bake at 375° F for 25 minutes. Remove foil, and continue baking for 20 additional minutes, or until potatoes are perfectly cooked, and tops are golden brown.
Remove from oven; let cool for 5 minutes. Remove from muffin pan and serve.
Yield: 12 Irish Stacked Potato Bites. (See Tip 5)
- Russet potatoes work best with this dish because of their shape and the high starch content.
- I used my food processor fitted with a 3 mm slicing blade to slice the potatoes. You could also use a mandoline or a sharp knife to slice the potatoes.
- You can also use sharp Cheddar cheese instead of the Dubliner cheese.
- The reason for using the biscuit cutter was to ensure a consistent diameter of the potato slices so that they would fit into the muffin cups.
- After removing the Irish Stacked Potato Bites from the muffin pan, you can refrigerate or freeze them, and reheat them in the microwave or 350°F oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until heated through.
Calories: 136kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 23mg | Sodium: 147mg | Potassium: 327mg | Vitamin A: 255IU | Vitamin C: 4.4mg | Calcium: 66mg | Iron: 0.7mg