Bangers and Mash with Onion Gravy
Bangers and mash with onion gravy is traditional Irish pub fare, and is perfect for St. Patrick’s Day. Bangers are sausages so named after World War I when sausages tended to have a high water content to compensate for meat shortages.
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 ¼ pounds Irish bangers or bratwurst (See Tip 1)
- 1 ½ pounds Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into slices
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 7 Tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 large onions, peeled and thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
- 1 ½ cups (12 ounces) low-sodium beef broth (See Tip 2)
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ Tablespoons Bisto or Cornstarch
Brown bangers or bratwurst in 1 tablespoon of butter in a skillet over medium heat, about 5 minutes. Add ¼ cup water. Cover, reduce heat and cook until done (160°F internal temperature0, around 12 minute4s.hour. Keep warm.
Cover potatoes in large saucepan with water. Add ½ tablespoon salt. Bring to a boil; lower heat to medium and cook until fork tender, about 15 minutes. Drain well. Return potatoes to saucepan. Add 4 tablespoons butter, ¼ cup milk, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Mash with potato masher or electric mixer. Keep warm.
Whisk together beef broth, Bisto and Worcestershire sauce. Set aside.
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add onions, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. Stir to combine. Cover with a paper towel and the skillet lid. Cook for 20 minutes.
Remove the paper towel and lid. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally until nicely caramelized, about 20 additional minutes.
Add beef broth mixture to caramelized onions. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly until thickened. Correct the seasonings if necessary.
Serve bangers on mashed potatoes, topped with onion gravy.
Yield: 3 to 4 servings.
- I've used both Irish bangers and store-bought bratwurst in the past in this recipe. Both work equally well.
- May use chicken broth in place of the beef broth.
Calories: 842kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 62g | Saturated Fat: 27g | Cholesterol: 159mg | Sodium: 1287mg | Potassium: 1413mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 635IU | Vitamin C: 14.4mg | Calcium: 106mg | Iron: 2.7mg