Red Lentil and Roasted Tomato Soup
What better way to warm yourself on these cold winter days than with a hearty soup. Red Lentil and Roasted Tomato Soup totally fits the bill. It's full of healthy ingredients, easy to make, and amazingly delicious!
Servings: 8 8servings
- 28 ounce can whole tomatoes, drained with juice reserved
- 1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon light brown sugar divided
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped (about 1-½ cups)
- ¾ cup finely chopped celery about 2 stalks
- ¾ cup finely chopped carrots 1 large carrot
- 1 pound (16 ounces) red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 2 quarts (64 ounces) chicken broth (See Tip 1)
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin toasted
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander toasted
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with non-stick aluminum foil. Drain tomatoes, reserving the juice. Seed tomatoes, pat dry with paper towels and spread in a single layer on the foil. Sprinkle evenly with 2 teaspoons of brown sugar. Bake until all liquid has evaporated and the tomatoes begin to color, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven; let the tomatoes cool slightly.
Heat olive oil in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, and celery; cook, until tender, about 10 minutes.
Add roasted tomatoes, lentils, chicken broth, reserved tomato juice, salt, cumin, coriander, pepper, and remaining 2 teaspoons of brown sugar.
Bring to a boil over high heat. If scum develops, skim off and discard. Lower heat to low; cover and cook until lentils are tender, about 50 minutes.
If desired, purée to preferred consistency with a stick blender.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings.
- To make this vegetarian, substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth.
Calories: 304kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 814mg | Potassium: 1014mg | Fiber: 19g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 2185IU | Vitamin C: 13.8mg | Calcium: 83mg | Iron: 5.9mg