Southern Style Scalloped Potatoes
Full of cheesy goodness in every bite, Southern Style Scalloped Potatoes are perfect for any occasion.
Servings: 8 servings
- 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into ¼-inch slices (See Tip 1)
- 1 Tablespoon Kosher salt
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (half a stick, 4-ounces) unsalted butter
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese (Original)
- 1 ¼ cups milk
- 1 ½ cups (6-ounces) shredded extra sharp Cheddar cheese (See Tip 2)
Cook potatoes in large pan with water salted with 1 tablespoon of Kosher salt just until tender, 4 to 5 minutes after the water comes to a boil. Drain in colander.
Preheat oven to 375° F. Spray large casserole dish with non-stick spray.
In a large casserole dish, layer the ingredients as follows: ⅓ of the drained potatoes, ⅓ of the flour (about 1-½ tablespoons), ⅓ of the butter (about 1-½ tablespoons), freshly ground black pepper, and ⅓ of the sliced Velveeta cheese (about 2-½ ounces). Repeat for 2 additional layers. Pour milk evenly over the top.
Bake uncovered in a preheated 375°F oven for 50 minutes, or until top is browned and mixture is bubbly. Remove from oven and top with shredded Cheddar cheese. Return to oven and bake for 10 more minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Remove from oven and serve.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings. (See Tip 3)
- May also use Yukon gold potatoes in this recipe.
- Sharp or regular Cheddar cheese may be substituted for the extra sharp Cheddar cheese. Colby and Colby Jack cheese can also be substituted.
- This makes excellent leftovers. Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for a day or 2. Reheat in the microwave for several minutes or in a 350°F oven for 15 minutes or until heated through.
Calories: 259kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 35mg | Sodium: 1436mg | Potassium: 817mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 540IU | Vitamin C: 19.4mg | Calcium: 275mg | Iron: 5.8mg