Lazy Lasagna has all of the amazing taste of regular lasagna. However, it uses store-bought cheese-filled ravioli in place of the typical layering of the lasagna noodles, and ricotta cheese mixture.
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 pound (16 ounces) mild Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 medium onion chopped, (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (1 teaspoon)
- 14.5 ounce can petit diced tomatoes
- 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup water
- Meat Sauce
- 18 ounce package cheese filled ravioli (See Tip 1)
- 2 cups (10 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated Parmesan cheese, divided
Brown Italian sausage in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat, breaking up the meat as it cooks. Transfer paper towel lined plate to drain. Allow to cool; rub meat between fingers to break up into small pieces.
Wipe skillet with paper towel to remove any remaining grease. Add onions; sauté over medium heat for about five minutes.
Return sausage to skillet; stir to combine. Add basil, oregano, salt, pepper and garlic. Stir well to combine; cook for 30 seconds or until garlic is fragrant.
Add petit diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, brown sugar, red wine and water; stir well to combine. Bring to a slow boil.
Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for three hours, adding more liquid if necessary. (See Tip 2)
Correct the seasonings if necessary. (See Tip 3)
Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray 9x13-inch baking dish with non-stick spray.
Spread one cup of meat sauce over bottom of baking dish. Top with half of the ravioli, half of the remaining meat sauce, half of the mozzarella cheese and half of the Parmesan cheese. Repeat the layering with the remaining ingredients.
Cover with aluminum foil. Bake in preheated 400°F oven for 20 minutes. Remove aluminum foil and bake an additional 20 minutes.
Yield: 8 Servings. (See Tip 4)
- I used fresh ravioli, but you could also use frozen ravioli. If using frozen ravioli, increase the cooking time by 5 minutes.
- Rather than cooking on stove, transfer mixture to a crock pot and cook on high setting for 5 hours; or cook covered in 300° F oven for 3 hours.
- This makes a delicious base for baked ziti and is awesome served over pasta.
- Leftovers if any are delicious. Also leftovers can be frozen for later use.
Calories: 545kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 32g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 100mg | Sodium: 1547mg | Potassium: 507mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 632IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 342mg | Iron: 9mg