Elegant Make-Ahead Mushroom Croustades
Make-Ahead Mushroom Croustades are an elegant bite-sized holiday appetizer. With rich and creamy mushroom filling in a crispy toasted bread shell, they will WOW your most discerning guests.
Servings: 24 Mushroom Croustades
- 24 slices Pepperidge Farm very thin white bread
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 green onions finely chopped
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (8 ounces) whipping cream
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground blackpepper
- Additional minced fresh parsley for garnish Optional
Pulse process mushrooms in food processor fitted with steel blade until finely chopped, 6 to 8 pulses. Take chopped mushrooms, a handful at a time and squeeze to remove excess liquid; place in a paper towel and again squeeze to remove excess liquid.
In a 12-inch skillet, melt 3 Tablespoons butter. Add green onions and cook over medium heat for 4 minutes, stirring constantly. Add mushrooms and cook 10 minutes. Remove from heat and sprinkle flour over mixture, stirring to blend. Return to heat. Pour in whipping cream; heat to boiling, stirring constantly. When thickened, simmer and cook 1 minute. Remove from heat and add parsley, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Correct seasonings. Cool. May be refrigerated or frozen until ready to use.
Fill shells just before baking. Bake at 350° F for 10 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 24 appetizers.
Calories: 126kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 19mg | Sodium: 176mg | Potassium: 70mg | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 235IU | Vitamin C: 0.6mg | Calcium: 73mg | Iron: 1mg