Chocolate Billionaires are full of crispy, crunchy caramel goodness enveloped in a chocolate coating. One taste, and you will agree that the name is totally appropriate!
Servings: 42 Chocolate Billionaires
- 11 ounce package caramel bits (See Tip 1)
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 1 ½ cups chopped pecans, toasted (See Tip 2)
- 1 cup Rice Krispies
- 2 cups dark chocolate melting wafers (See Tip 3)
Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper, or well-greased wax paper. Set aside. (See Tip 4)
In a large, heavy saucepan, combine the caramel bits and water; cook and stir over medium low heat until smooth, about 12 minutes. Add toasted pecans and Rice Krispies; stir until well coated. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto prepared pans.
Meanwhile, melt the chocolate candy coating in a double boiler over simmering water, making sure that the bottom of the pan with chocolate does not touch the water. Be careful not to boil the water. Dip each piece of candy into the chocolate, coating all sides. Place on prepared pans. When fully set, store in airtight container. Yield: 3 to 4 dozen, depending on size of each piece.
- May also use store-bought caramels that have been unwrapped.
- To toast the pecan pieces, place in preheated 350°F oven for 8 to 9 minutes. Watch carefully to avoid over toasting.
- I like to use Ghirardelli dark chocolate melting wafers, but you could also use 3 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips carefully melted with 1½ teaspoons of Crisco in place of the chocolate candy coating. However, if you heat the chocolate chips too much, they will not harden.
- The candy is quite sticky. Therefore, it's important to use either parchment paper or well-greased wax paper. Otherwise, you'll have a sticky mess.
Calories: 130kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 2mg | Sodium: 35mg | Potassium: 36mg | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 80IU | Vitamin C: 0.6mg | Calcium: 31mg | Iron: 0.5mg