Poulet à la Crème (adapted from Jacques Pèpin's recipe)
Poulet à la Crème is a superb dish that's easy to make, but elegant enough for your special dinner party.
Servings: 4 servings
- 6 chicken thighs about 3 pounds, skin removed (about 2½ pounds skinned)
- ¾ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¾ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 8 mushrooms about 6 ounces, washed and sliced
- 1 ½ Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ cup dry white wine or Vermouth
- ¼ cup low sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 Tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh tarragon or parsley for garnish optional
Make slits on both sides of the chicken thigh bone with a sharp knife. Sprinkle both sides of thighs with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Melt the butter with olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the chicken thighs to the skillet in one layer and brown over for about 2½ minutes on each side.
Sprinkle on the flour; turn the chicken pieces with tongs so the flour is dispersed evenly. Add the mushrooms. Stir in the wine and chicken broth, and mix well. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat, and cook gently for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the thighs are done. Remove the thighs.
Add the cream to the sauce, bring to a boil, and boil, uncovered, for about 1 minute. If the sauce needs thickening add about 1 tablespoon of beurre manié; stir until thickened. Correct the seasonings. Return chicken to sauce; heat for 1 to 2 minutes.
Serve sprinkled with the chopped tarragon or parsley, if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Calories: 576kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 45g | Saturated Fat: 16g | Cholesterol: 214mg | Sodium: 586mg | Potassium: 530mg | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 655IU | Vitamin C: 0.8mg | Calcium: 36mg | Iron: 1.5mg