Vegetable Lo Mein
Quick and easy to prepare, full of healthy vegetables, this Lo Mein takes less than 15 minutes to cook. Oh, and it makes incredible leftovers. Even better is its versatility - dress it up with chicken, shrimp, beef, etc., or keep it vegetarian with broccoli florets, celery, or bean sprouts in place of, or in addition to the vegetable ingredients.
Servings: 4 servings
- 6 ounce package dried Chinese noodles (Mein)
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil or olive oil
- ½ cup low sodium chicken broth (See Tip 1)
- 3 Tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 3 Tablespoons Hoisin sauce
- ½ teaspoon Sriracha hot chili sauce optional
- 1 Tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 ½ teaspoons corn starch
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 ounces cremini or white mushrooms sliced
- 1 carrot peeled and cut into 2-inch match sticks
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and cut into 2-inch match sticks
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup snow peas
- 3 scallions white and green parts separated and sliced thin
- 6 ounces baby spinach
Bring 4 quarts water to boil in large pot. Add noodles to boiling water and cook until tender, 3 minutes. Drain noodles, rinse thoroughly with cold water, then drain again. Toss noodles with sesame or olive oil in bowl; set aside.
Whisk chicken broth, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, Sriracha chili sauce if desired, ginger, and corn starch together in bowl; set aside.
Heat oil in a large skillet or wok over medium high heat. Add mushrooms, carrots, and bell pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in snow peas, scallions, and spinach until the spinach has wilted, about 2-3 minutes.
Add noodles and soy sauce mixture; gently toss to combine.Transfer to platter and sprinkle with scallion greens. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
- To make this vegetarian, substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth.
Calories: 330kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Sodium: 782mg | Potassium: 664mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 7825IU | Vitamin C: 68.9mg | Calcium: 71mg | Iron: 2.7mg