Tasty Taco Cups
Tasty taco filling layered with melted cheese in crispy wonton wrappers makes the perfect appetizer. What’s even better is that they’re super easy to make and just as yummy made ahead of time and reheated!
Servings: 12 Tasty Taco Cups
- 1 1/4 pounds (20 ounces) ground turkey (93% lean or higher) (See Tip 1)
- 1 package (3 Tablespoons) taco seasoning (See Tip 2)
- 1 can Rotel Original Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies, undrained
- 1/2 cup water
- 24 wonton wrappers
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons Vegetable oil for brushing cups before baking
- Sour cream and/or sliced green onion tops for garnish, optional
Preheat oven to 375° F. Brush cups of muffin pan with vegetable oil or spray with non-stick spray; set aside.
Brown and crumble ground turkey in skillet over medium heat. Drain in colander; rinse well under hot water to remove as much grease as possible; drain well. Return to skillet. Over medium heat, add taco seasoning, Rotel tomatoes, and water. Stir to combine. Cook uncovered for 10 minutes or until most of liquid has evaporated. Cool 10 minutes. (See Tip 3)
Layer taco cups in muffin cups as follows: (1) wonton wrapper; (2) 1 tablespoon meat mixture; (3) 1 tablespoon shredded cheese; (4) another wonton wrapper; (5) another tablespoon of meat mixture; (6) another tablespoon of shredded cheese. Brush top lightly with vegetable oil.
Bake at 375° F for 12 to 15 minutes or until wonton wrappers are golden brown.
Remove from oven; let cool 10 minutes. Remove from muffin pan. (See Tip 4)
If desired, garnish with sour cream and/or sliced green onion tops. Serve warm.
Yield: 12 Tasty Taco Cups.
- May use ground beef in place of the ground turkey. The reason that I use ground turkey, however, is that the ground turkey is significantly more tender.
- I like to make my own taco seasoning which is significantly better than the store-bought kind. I mix together the following: 1 1/2 Tablespoons corn masa flour; 1 1/2 Tablespoons chili powder; 3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt; 1/2 teaspoon onion powder; 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder; 1/2 teaspoon black pepper; 1/2 teaspoon paprika; 1/2 teaspoon cumin; 1/4 teaspoon sugar; 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano.
- You might think it odd that I rinse the cooked meat given that I’m probably washing away some of the taste. However, I’ve found that the Rotel tomatoes and taco seasoning provide the real taste of the meat mixture.
- You can make the Tasty Taco Cups ahead of time, minus the garnishing with the sour cream and/or sliced green onion tops. Reheat at 350°F for 15 minutes and garnish as desired.
Calories: 165kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 44mg | Sodium: 200mg | Potassium: 111mg | Vitamin A: 170IU | Calcium: 117mg | Iron: 1.1mg