Cheesy Salsa Dip in a Bread Bowl
Cheesy Salsa Dip in a Bread Bowl is an amazing appetizer to serve at your Cinco de Mayo celebration. You will absolutely love the blending of flavors and the taste. You can serve it with tortilla chips, fresh veggies, toasted bread cubes, etc. It’s a snap to put together, and can be made ahead of time. Olé!
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 (16 ounce) Bread round
- 1 cup pico de gallo or salsa, drained (see note 1)
- 10 ounce can Rotel Tomatoes and Green Chilies, drained
- 8 ounce package cream cheese (see note 2)
- 8 ounce container sour cream (see note 3)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Cheddar Cheese (see note 4)
- 2 Tablespoons Taco seasoning
- Tortilla chips or fresh vegetables for dipping
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Slice top off bread round and scoop out interior. Use scooped out bread for another purpose.
Place pico de gallo, Rotel Tomatoes, cream cheese, sour cream, Cheddar cheese, and taco seasoning in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat on high in microwave for 1 minute. Remove from microwave, and stir ingredients together.
Return to microwave for another minute; heat on high. Remove and stir ingredients together. Repeat one more time, or until cheeses are fully melted.
Whisk dip ingredients until smooth.
Spoon the mixture into the bread bowl. Place the top back on the bread. Wrap the bread in aluminum foil.
Bake for 1 hour. Remove from oven and uncover the aluminum foil. Remove the bread top and stir. Return dip and bread top to oven for 15 additional minutes to crisp up bread.
Serve with tortilla chips or fresh vegetables such as celery and carrots (see note 5).
Yield: 8 servings.
- Note 1: Use home-made or good quality store-bought pico de gallo or salsa. The hotter the pico de gallo or salsa, the hotter the dip.
- Note 2: May use regular or reduced fat cream cheese.
- Note 3: May use regular or reduced fat sour cream.
- Note 4: I used extra sharp Cheddar cheese.
- Note 5: The Cheesy Salsa Dip can be served hot or cold in a decorative bowl as opposed to the bread bowl. If served hot, heat the dip in the microwave for several additional minutes on high until hot and bubbly. In addition, the hot dip can be served in a bread bowl without baking it in the oven.
Calories: 282kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 75mg | Sodium: 619mg | Potassium: 266mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1095IU | Vitamin C: 4.5mg | Calcium: 283mg | Iron: 0.9mg