Creamy Puréed Zucchini Soup
Creamy Puréed Zucchini Soup is both quick and easy to make and delicious to serve. This puréed soup is light and filling, and equally good served hot or cold. It's a perfect dish for a light summer meal, or as a starter for an elegant dinner party.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 ½ cups chopped onion (1 large)
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 pounds zucchini, unpeeled and sliced (about 5 medium zucchinis) (See Tip 1)
- 4 cups (32 ounces) low sodium chicken broth (See Tip 2)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt (See Tip 3)
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup (4 ounces) milk (See Tip 4)
- ¾ cup (6 ounces) heavy cream (See Tip 5)
Melt butter over medium heat in a Dutch oven. Add onion; sauté 5 minutes. Add garlic and continue sautéing 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add zucchini, chicken broth, salt, and pepper.
Increase heat to high; bring mixture to a boil.
Lower heat to medium low; cover Dutch oven. Cook 25 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Uncover and remove from heat. Allow to cool 15 minutes.
Purée soup in 3 batches in blender. (See Tip 6)
Wipe Dutch oven clean. Return puréed soup to Dutch oven, and stir in milk and cream. Correct the seasonings.
Serve hot or cold. (See Tip 7)
Yield: 6 servings.
- The zucchini peel is very tender, and high in nutritional value Therefore, you don't need to peel the zucchini, and really shouldn't! I cut the zucchini into roughly ¼ to ½ inch slices. It's not necessary to be exact here because the soup is ultimately puréed.
- For a vegetarian soup, you can use vegetable broth in place of the chicken broth.
- You can use regular chicken broth. However, you should reduce the amount of salt to ½ teaspoon, and taste carefully before adding any more salt.
- I used whole milk. However, you could also use low fat milk.
- The cream adds richness to the soup, but also calories. For a less rich soup, you could use low-fat cream. Also, you could omit the cream, and increase the milk to 1 ¼ cups. If you omit the cream, it reduces the calories per serving to 115!
- Don't overfill the blender. If you do, it could make a mess! You can also use an immersion blender to pureé the soup.
- This soup is equally delicious served hot or cold. Leftovers can be refrigerated in a covered container for several days.
Calories: 199kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 47mg | Sodium: 81mg | Potassium: 637mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 830IU | Vitamin C: 30.4mg | Calcium: 82mg | Iron: 1mg