Cornish Style Pasties (rhymes with"Nasties")
Genuine Cornish Pasties (rhymes with"Nasties") are a meat pie filled with uncooked beef, potatoes, turnip or rutabaga (a.k.a. swede), and onion, seasoned with salt and pepper, and made in Cornwall. Typically, the filing is encased in a shortbread type crust. These Cornish Style Pasties differ in that I use pork tenderloin in place of the beef and add carrots. I've made them before with beef but think that the pork is more flavorful and tender. My Cornish Style Pasties are a staple at our house, a favorite of the Master Taste Tester, and incredibly delicious.
Servings: 16 servings
- 1 pound beef or pork tenderloin cut into 1-inch pieces (See Note 1)
- 1 ½ cups potatoes peeled and cut into ¼-inch cubes
- 1 ½ cups rutabaga peeled and cut into ¼-inch cubes
- 1 ½ cups onion, chopped (1 large onion) (1 ½ cups)
- 1 ½ cups carrots, peeled and cut into ¼-inch cubes (3 medium)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste (try ¼ teaspoon
- 14 to 16 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 14 to 16 Pepperidge Farms Puff Pastry Shells thawed
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Line a rimmed baking sheet with non-stick aluminum foil. Set aside.
On a well-floured surface, roll each puff pastry shell into a 7 to 8-inch circle. As each circle is rolled out, place on a 6-inch dough press. Place 1 teaspoon of butter on half of pastry circle. Top with ⅓ packed cup of filling on one-half of circle. Dampen the edges with water and fold the dough over, pressing to seal, to form a half circle shape. Trim with knife. Place the pasties on the prepared cookie sheet. (See Note 2)
Brush the pasties with egg wash and bake at 350° F for 1 hour or until filling is done and pastry is golden brown. Yield: 14 to 16 Pasties.
- I originally used beef for the Cornish Style Pasties. However, we greatly prefer the taste of pork.
- I always make a large batch of Cornish Style Pasties and freeze them individually. Once they are frozen, I vacuum seal pairs of Cornish Style Pasties, and pop them in the freezer.
Calories: 356kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 39mg | Sodium: 294mg | Potassium: 327mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 2145IU | Vitamin C: 7.3mg | Calcium: 28mg | Iron: 2.3mg