Easy Cheesy Zucchini Bites
Easy Cheesy Zucchini Bites are loaded with grated zucchini, bread crumbs, and cheddar cheese. They're the perfect appetizer eaten plain, or dipped in ketchup, or spicy marinara. The mixture can be made ahead of time, and baked when you need them. Also, the leftovers, are just as good when they've been refrigerated and reheated.
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 1/2 cups grated zucchini, packed (See Notes 1 and 2)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup (2.5 ounces) dried breadcrumbs
- 1 cup (4 ounces) extra sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 large eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Trim ends of zucchini; grate. Transfer to colander set over plate. Toss with 1 teaspoon of Kosher salt. Let sit for 30 minutes.
Squeeze liquid from grated zucchini. (See Note 3)
Preheat oven to 400° F.
Place dried zucchini in food processor fitted with steel blade. Add remaining ingredients. Pulse process 5 times. Scrape down sides; process an additional 5 times, or until all ingredients are well mixed. (See Notes 4 and 5)
Drop portions of zucchini mixture on silicon lined baking sheet using a 2-teaspoon ice cream scoop.
Bake in preheated 400° F oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until lightly browned. Yield: 40 Easy Cheesy Zucchini Bites - 6 servings. (See Note 6)
- I used two zucchini that together weighed about 1 pound. Each zucchini was about 8-inches long. I don't know whether it would be considered medium or large. That's why I focus on the actual weight.
- I used my food processor to grate the zucchini. If you don't have a food processor, you can use a box grater - use larger holes.
- Generally, I first squeeze as much liquid as possible from the zucchini using my hands, and then squeeze the remaining liquid by placing the zucchini in a doubled paper towel. You could also squeeze the zucchini in a clean kitchen towel. However you do it, you want to make sure that you squeeze as much liquid as possible.
- If you don't have a food processor, add all ingredients to a bowl, and stir to completely combine.
- May be prepared in advance up to this point.
- Leftovers can be refrigerated, and reheated for 15 minutes at 350° F.
Calories: 144kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 81mg | Sodium: 598mg | Potassium: 193mg | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 380IU | Vitamin C: 9.4mg | Calcium: 170mg | Iron: 1mg