Homemade Marinara sauce is immeasurably better than store-bought. It is easy to make, quite versatile, and freezes beautifully.
Servings: 12 servings
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 3 large cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, preferably salt free
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce, preferably salt free
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste, preferably salt free
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
Add olive oil to Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and garlic; sauté for five minutes.
Add Italian seasoning, basil, salt, pepper, and sugar. Stir well to combine.
Add crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, and tomato paste; stir well to combine.
Add wine; stir well to combine. Cover and reduce heat to medium low. Cook for two hours, adding more liquid if necessary. (Note: Rather than cooking on stove, transfer mixture to a crock pot and cook on high setting for 2 1/2 hours.)
Correct seasonings. Yield: 5 1/2 cups.
Calories: 36kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 197mg | Potassium: 52mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 12IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 16mg | Iron: 1mg