Triple Chocolate Ice Cream with Waffle Cones
Triple Chocolate Ice Cream is a true chocolate lover's dream! It's velvety smooth, intensely chocolate, and absolutely delicious. When I paired it with homemade waffle cones, it was extraordinary!
Servings: 8 servings
Ice Cream Maker
WaffleExpress Cone Maker
Triple Chocolate Ice Cream
- 2 cups (16 ounces, 473 ml) heavy cream
- ½ cup (3.5 ounces, 100 grams) granulated sugar
- 6 Tablespoons (1.75 ounces, 50 grams) unsweetened Dutch-processed cocoa powder (See Tip 1)
- 1 cup (6 ounces, 170 grams) Ghirardelli bittersweet (60% cacao) chocolate chips (See Tip 2)
- 1 cup (8 ounces, 237 ml) whole milk
- ¼ cup (2 ounces) Godiva Chocolate Liqueur
- ¼ cup (2 ounces, 56 grams) egg whites (about 2 large egg whites)
- 7 Tablespoons (3 ounces, 85 grams) granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup (3.15 ounces, 90 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons (1 ounce, 30 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- 24 to 27 chocolate chips
Triple Chocolate Ice Cream
Whisk together the cream, cocoa powder and sugar in a large saucepan. Heat mixture over medium high heat, whisking frequently, until it comes to a full, rolling boil (it will start to foam up). Remove from heat and whisk in the bittersweet chocolate chips until they are completely melted. Then whisk in the milk and Godiva Liqueur. Pour the mixture into a blender and blend for 30 seconds, until very smooth. Transfer to a container, cover with plastic wrap, and chill thoroughly in the refrigerator.
Pour chilled mixture into ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. Store in airtight container in freezer. Yield: 1 quart (1 litre)
Preheat the waffle cone machine to a color setting of around 4. Lightly brush both sides with oil.
In a small mixing bowl, beat together egg whites, sugar and vanilla. Add the salt and half of the flour. Beat on low until incorporated. Add the melted butter and remaining flour and beat on low until smooth.
Spoon 4 teaspoons batter onto the center of a hot cone waffle machine. Close the lid, lock the latch. Bake for 1 minute. Check for proper color; close and cook an additional 20 to 30 seconds to desired color.
Carefully remove the waffle from cone waffle machine with a wooden fork onto a clean dish towel. Use the cloth to help lift and roll the waffle around the cone form, pinching the bottom and holding the cone a few seconds to set its shape. Drop 3 chocolate chips into the cone and push down with small dowel to the bottom to seal the bottom of the cone.
Cool completely. Store in airtight container. Yield: 8 or 9 cones.
- You can substitute regular unsweetened cocoa powder for the dutch processed cocoa powder.
- You can use semi-sweet chocolate chips in place of the bittersweet chocolate chips. The resulting ice cream will be a bit sweeter.
Calories: 526kcal | Carbohydrates: 50g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 33g | Saturated Fat: 22g | Cholesterol: 92mg | Sodium: 109mg | Potassium: 300mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 34g | Vitamin A: 1010IU | Vitamin C: 0.5mg | Calcium: 144mg | Iron: 1.3mg