French for "windblown", a vol-au-vent is a small, hollow case of puff pastry, with the top cut out to allow for a filling. For Chicken Vol-au-vents, the filling is a concoction of cubed chicken cooked in a savory gravy. This is a very simple recipe that takes no longer than 30 minutes to prepare - start to yummy finish.
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 ½ cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Madeira or sherry
- 4 teaspoons Bisto (See Note 1)
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 puff pastry shells
- Optional: Chopped green onions for garnish.
Preheat oven to 425° F.
Combine chicken broth, Worcestershire sauce, Madeira and Bisto in a bowl or measuring cup; mix well. Set aside.
Melt butter in a heavy saucepan. Sauté chicken 7 to 8 minutes over medium heat, or until all pink is gone. Add flour, salt and pepper; cook 1 to 2 minutes. Add chicken broth mixture slowly. Cook, stirring constantly over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low and continue cooking 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook puff pastry shells according to package directions - around 20 minutes at 425° F - until puffed and golden brown. During the last five minutes of cooking, remove the small top circle to allow for browning of the interior.
Divide chicken evenly among 4 pastry shells and serve immediately. Garnish with chopped green onions if desired.
Yield: 4 servings.
- Bisto is a British meat-flavored gravy powder. If Bisto is unavailable, cornstarch can be substituted.
Calories: 439kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 80mg | Sodium: 450mg | Potassium: 548mg | Vitamin A: 120IU | Vitamin C: 1.7mg | Calcium: 17mg | Iron: 2.1mg