Chicken Vol au Vents is a quick and easy recipe where cooked puff pastry shells are filled with tender chicken cooked in a savory gravy. It only takes 30 minutes to prepare from start to yummy finish and m
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 ½ cups low sodium chicken broth (See Tip 1)
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Madeira or dry sherry (See Tip 2)
- 4 teaspoons Bisto (See Tip 3)
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 puff pastry shells
- Optional: Chopped green onions for garnish.
Preheat oven to 425° F.
Combine chicken broth, Worcestershire sauce, Madeira and Bisto in a bowl or measuring cup; mix well. Set aside.
Melt butter in a heavy saucepan. Sauté chicken 7 to 8 minutes over medium heat, or until all pink is gone. Add flour, salt and pepper; cook 1 to 2 minutes. Add chicken broth mixture slowly. Cook, stirring constantly over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low and continue cooking 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook puff pastry shells according to package directions - around 20 minutes at 425° F - until puffed and golden brown. During the last five minutes of cooking, remove the small top circle to allow for browning of the interior.
Divide chicken evenly among 4 pastry shells and serve immediately. Garnish with chopped green onions if desired.
Yield: 4 servings.
- Regular chicken broth can be used in this recipe.
- Can omit the Madeira or sherry. However, the sauce will not be quite as flavorful.
- Bisto is a British meat-flavored gravy powder. If Bisto is unavailable, cornstarch can be substituted.
Calories: 439kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 80mg | Sodium: 450mg | Potassium: 548mg | Vitamin A: 120IU | Vitamin C: 1.7mg | Calcium: 17mg | Iron: 2.1mg