Homemade Vanilla Extract
Homemade vanilla extract is the perfect Christmas gift.
Servings: 48 teaspoons
- 1 cup (8-ounces) Unflavored vodka (See Tip 1)
- 5 to 6 Whole vanilla beans (See Tip 2)
Wash and sterilize the bottles that will be used. (See Tip 3)
With a sharp paring knife cut the vanilla beans down the middle. Place the beans in the clean bottle. Pour in vodka. Seal the bottle, and store in a cool, dark place. Let the vanilla extract age for at least 8-weeks before using, occasionally shaking the bottle. (See Tip 4)
Note: When the vanilla extract gets low, add more vodka to the bottle.
- It's important to use unflavored vodka. Also, you don't need to use an expensive vodka. If desired, you could use bourbon, rum or brandy in place of the vodka.
- I like to use Madagascar Bourbon Grade-A vanilla beans. My rule of thumb is to use 5 to 6 per 8 ounces of liquid.
- If you're using swing-top bottles, it's best not to put them in the dish washer. The reason is that the metal for the swing-top could corrode.
- The longer the vanilla beans infuse, the better. I like to wait at least 5 months.
Calories: 13kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1mg | Potassium: 1mg | Iron: 1mg