Dry Brined Roast Chicken
Dry Brined Roast Chicken is possibly the best roast chicken that you've ever eaten. It's juicy, tender, and amazingly tasty.
Servings: 6 servings
- 5 pound chicken, giblets removed
- 1 Tablespoon Kosher salt (See Note 1)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil (See Note 2)
- 1 lemon, cut in half
- 1 small orange, cut in half
- 1 ¼ pounds small new potatoes, unpeeled and quartered (See Note 3)
- 2 cups carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch sticks (See Note 4)
- 1 large onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil (See Note 2)
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Trim excess fat from chicken; pat dry with paper towels.
Combine salt and baking powder in a small bowl. Sprinkle on both sides of chicken; rub into skin with hands. Refrigerate uncovered for 6 hours.
Remove chicken from refrigerator one hour before roasting.
Stuff cavity with lemon and orange halves. Tie legs together with kitchen twine. Rub all over with vegetable oil. Insert temperature probe into thickest part of chicken breast, making sure that it is not touching any bone. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 425° F.
Combine potatoes, carrots, and onions in a bowl. Add vegetable oil, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine. Spread on bottom of 12-inch or 14-inch cast iron pan.
Place prepared chicken in center of vegetables.
Roast chicken until breast temperature reaches 150° F, and thigh temperature reaches 170° F, about one hour. Remove from oven, and tent with aluminum foil for about 20 minutes.
Yield: 6 servings.
- The dry brine here uses Kosher salt. If you use regular table salt, you should reduce the amount of salt in the dry brine from 1 tablespoon to 2 teaspoons.
- May also use vegetable oil.
- May also use small unpeeled red potatoes, or peeled russet potatoes. Just make sure that the potatoes are cut into bite-sized pieces.
- May also use baby carrots.
Calories: 552kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 36g | Fat: 34g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 136mg | Sodium: 1132mg | Potassium: 947mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 7380IU | Vitamin C: 25.9mg | Calcium: 66mg | Iron: 2.6mg