Chicken Pot Pie in Puff Pastry Shells
Chicken Pot Pie in Puff Pastry is a great alternative to the traditional one enclosed in a pie crust. It's the ultimate comfort food, packed full of goodness and simple to prepare. The most time-consuming part of the preparation is cutting the chicken and the vegetables.
Servings: 8 servings
- 2 pounds skinless and boneless chicken breasts cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups about a half rutabaga, peeled and cut into ¼-inch pieces*
- 2 cups 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into ¼-inch pieces
- 2 1/2 cups 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 4 cups 1 quart low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups frozen green peas
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 Tablespoons Bisto may use corn starch instead
- Puff Pastry Shells cooked according to package directions
Melt butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until it is white on all sides, about 7 minutes. Add the salt, pepper, thyme, rutabaga, carrots and onions. Cook until the onions are tender, about 10 minutes. Add the flour to mixture; stir until well blended. Cook for 1 minutes. Add the wine and chicken broth. Stir over medium heat until mixture is bubbly and thickened. Cover and cook over low heat until the carrots and rutabaga are tender, about 45 minutes. Add the green peas; stir to combine.
Increase the heat to medium. Mix the milk and Bisto together; add to chicken and vegetable mixture. Cook stirring often until mixture is bubbly and thickened. Correct the seasonings. Serve over Puff Pastry Shells. Yield: 8 servings.
*May use turnip root in place of rutabaga.
Note: This freezes extremely well.
Calories: 307kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 81mg | Sodium: 931mg | Potassium: 930mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 5770IU | Vitamin C: 30.2mg | Calcium: 78mg | Iron: 2.1mg