Flourless Chocolate Cake
Surprise your Valentine with this dense, rich, and decadent Flourless Chocolate Cake. Every bite is packed with intense bittersweet chocolate flavor.
Servings: 12 servings
- 1 cup (6 ounces, 170 grams) bittersweet chocolate chips (See Note 1)
- ½ cup (1 stick, 4 ounces, 113 grams) unsalted butter
- ¾ cup (5.25 ounces, 149 grams) granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder, optional (See Note 2)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- ½ cup (1.5 ounces, 43 grams) Dutch-process cocoa (See Note 3)
- ¾ cup (4 ounces, 113 grams) bittersweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup plus 2 Tablespoons (3 ounces, 85 ml) heavy cream
- 1 cup (6 ounces, 170 grams) bittersweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup (4 ounces, 113 ml) heavy cream
Put the chocolate and butter in a microwave-safe bowl and heat in microwave on 60% power until the butter is melted and the chips are soft, about 2 minutes. Stir until the chips are melted, reheating briefly if necessary.
Stir in the sugar, salt, espresso powder, and vanilla. Add the eggs, beating briefly until smooth. Add the cocoa powder, and mix just to combine.
Spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Bake the cake for 20 to 25 minutes; until it register at least 200°F on an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the cake.
Remove cake from the oven and cool it in the pan for 5 minutes.
Loosen the edges of the pan with a thin knife; turn onto a wire rack to cool completely before adding the ganache.
Combine the chocolate and cream in a microwave-safe bowl, and heat on full power in microwave for 30 seconds. Stir mixture; heat for additional 30 seconds or until the cream is very hot, but not simmering. Remove from the microwave, and stir until the chocolate melts and the mixture is completely smooth. Allow to cool to room temperature. Beat until thick and piping consistency.
Combine the chocolate and cream in a microwave-safe bowl, and heat in microwave on full power for 30 seconds.Stir mixture; heat for additional 30 seconds or until the cream is very hot, but not simmering. Remove from the microwave, and stir until the chocolate melts and the mixture is completely smooth. Spoon the ganache over the cake, spreading it to drip over the sides.
Finishing the Flourless Chocolate Cake
Transfer the whipped ganache to a pastry bag fitted with a #21 star tip. Pipe the whipped ganache to provide a decorative touch. If desired, add fresh raspberries.
Allow the ganache to set for several hours before serving the cake. Yield: 8-inch cake, 8 to 12 servings.
- I used Ghirardelli 60% cocoa bittersweet chocolate chips.
- As a substitute for espresso powder, grind regular coffee very finely in coffee grinder.
- Dutch process cocoa is treated with alkaline to neutralize its pH. If you don't have Dutch process cocoa, you can use regular unsweetened cocoa mixed with ¼ teaspoon of baking soda.
Calories: 405kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 17g | Cholesterol: 85mg | Sodium: 105mg | Potassium: 175mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 34g | Vitamin A: 575IU | Vitamin C: 0.2mg | Calcium: 99mg | Iron: 1.2mg