Cheesy Southern Yellow Squash Casserole
Cheesy Southern Yellow Squash Casserole takes the lowly squash to new levels with this simple to make recipe. It doesn't have any eggs, sour cream or mayonnaise often found in squash casseroles. Rather, it's flavored with just onions, bacon and cheese.
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 pounds yellow squash cut into 1/4-inch rounds (About 8 cups) (See Tip 1)
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 4 slices bacon, cooked, drained and crumbled
- 1 Tablespoon reserved bacon grease (See Tip 2)
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese, divided (See Tip 3)
- 24 Ritz crackers, crushed (See Tip 4)
- 1 cup chopped onion (1 medium onion)
- Additional salt to taste (See Tip 5)
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated black pepper, or to taste
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Boil squash in water salted with 2 teaspoons of Kosher salt until tender, about 5 minutes. (See Tip 6)
Drain well in wire mesh colander. When cool, press squash with paper towels to squeeze out as much water as possible. (See Tip 7)
Combine crushed Ritz crackers with 1/2 cup of shredded Cheddar cheese. Set aside.
Heat reserved one tablespoon of bacon grease in 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add onion; sauté until tender, 5 to 7 minutes. (See Tip 2)
When onion is tender, add squash, 1 cup of Cheddar cheese, crumbled bacon and pepper to onions; stir to combine. Correct the seasonings.
Transfer squash mixture to 2 1/2 quart casserole dish that has been sprayed with nonstick vegetable spray. Sprinkle on Ritz/Cheese mixture; dot with 1 tablespoon of butter.
Bake in preheated 350° F oven for 30 minutes or until squash mixture is bubbly and the top is golden brown.
Yield: 6 servings. (See Tip 8)
- You could also use unpeeled zucchini in this amazing casserole, or half yellow squash and half zucchini. The zucchini will add a nice color to the dish.
- You could use 1 tablespoon of butter as opposed to the bacon grease.
- I used extra sharp Cheddar cheese because that's what the Master Taste Tester likes. You could also use sharp or mild Cheddar cheese.
- One sleeve of Ritz crackers contains 35 crackers. A whole sleeve would be too much. Enjoy the rest of the crackers with your favorite spread!
- I find it unnecessary to add any more salt to the casserole. The cheese and bacon add just enough salt for my taste. However, you should taste the casserole and make sure that it has enough salt for your taste.
- Place a wooden spoon in the water to prevent it from boiling over.
- You want to remove as much water as possible from the squash. Otherwise, the casserole will be soupy.
- This makes great leftovers. Heat in microwave until hot or bake at 350° F for 15 minutes or until hot.
Calories: 306kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 46mg | Sodium: 1161mg | Potassium: 506mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 645IU | Vitamin C: 27.6mg | Calcium: 251mg | Iron: 1.4mg