Homemade Waffle Cones (Adapted from David Lebovitz's The Perfect Scoop)
Homemade Waffle Cones are easy to make. When filled with your favorite ice cream, they will make an extra special treat.
Servings: 8 waffle cones
- ¼ cup egg whites (from 2 large eggs)
- 7 Tablespoons (3 ounces, 85 grams) granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup (3.18 ounces, 90 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons (1 ounce, 30 grams) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 24 chocolate chips
Preheat the waffle cone machine to a color setting of around 4. Lightly brush both sides with oil.
In a small mixing bowl, beat together egg whites, sugar and vanilla. Add the salt and half of the flour; beat to incorporate. Add the melted butter and remaining flour and beat until smooth.
Spoon 2 Tablespoons batter onto the center of a hot cone waffle machine. Close the lid, lock the latch. Bake for 1 minute and 30 seconds. Check for proper color and adjust timing accordingly. (See Tip 1)
Carefully remove the waffle from cone waffle machine with a wooden fork onto a clean cloth towel. Use the cloth to help lift and roll the waffle around the cone form, pinching the bottom and holding the cone for about 10 seconds to set its shape.
Drop several chocolate chips into the cone, and push down with small dowel to the bottom to seal the bottom of the cone. Cool completely. (See Tip 2)
Store in airtight container. Yield: 8 Homemade Waffle Cones.
- I used a 1 ¾-inch ice cream scoop. It produced the perfect amount of batter.
- We've all been there on a hot day when all of a sudden, your ice cream starts dripping from the bottom of your ice cream cone. For the homemade waffle cone, the solution is to drop 3 chocolate chips into the hot cone as soon as it has been formed and holds it shape. The heat of the cone will melt the chocolate and form a seal at the bottom of the cone! This produces the added benefit of a chocolaty surprise at the bottom of the cone.
Calories: 123kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 7mg | Sodium: 51mg | Potassium: 23mg | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 95IU | Calcium: 5mg | Iron: 0.5mg