Split Pea Soup with Smoked Sausage (Pressure Cooker)
Split Pea Soup with Smoked Sausage is amazingly easy to make in your pressure cooker and amazingly good to eat.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 pound (16 ounces) smoked sausage sliced thin (See Tip 1)
- 1 pound (16 ounces) green split peas, picked over and rinsed
- 1 large onion chopped (about 2 cups)
- 3 ribs of celery chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups water (See Tip 2)
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
Cook the sausage in a large pressure cooker. Remove and drain well on paper towels. Pour all fat from the pressure cooker and wipe down with paper towels.
Add the onion and celery to the pressure cooker, and cook 5 minutes, stirring to loosen the browned bits at the bottom of the pan. Add the cooked sausage, salt, thyme, pepper and water. Stir well.
Add the rinsed split peas and water. Stir well to combine.
Lock the lid of the pressure cooker in place. Over high heat, bring the pot to the highest pressure. Reduce the heat just medium low (enough heat to maintain the high pressure) and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat; allow the pressure to come down naturally. Remove the lid; stir well, taking care to blend in the peas and other ingredients that have sunk to the bottom of the pan. Correct the seasonings.
Yield: 6 servings. (See Tips 3 and 4)
- May use 2 cups of diced ham in place of the smoked sausage. If using ham, combine the ham, onions and celery. Cook for 5 minutes and proceed as above.
- For a richer flavor, use chicken broth in place of the water.
- May also use the Instant Pot to make this awesome soup.
- This soup tends to thicken quite a bit as it cools. If desired add additional water of chicken broth to achieve the desired consistency. Also, leftovers are delicious!
Calories: 493kcal | Carbohydrates: 48g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 53mg | Sodium: 1446mg | Potassium: 911mg | Fiber: 19g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 120IU | Vitamin C: 2.7mg | Calcium: 61mg | Iron: 4.2mg