Make Ahead Chicken Divan
Make Ahead Chicken Divan is the perfect dish to serve at a dinner party or anytime for that matter. Tender chicken and fresh broccoli are cooked in a luscious white sauce and topped with Parmesan cheese and paprika. It's a breeze to put together and is absolutely delicious, especially when paired with yellow rice with peas. Your guests will think that you slaved all day in the kitchen!
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 pound chicken breasts skinned and boned, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 12 ounces fresh broccoli stalks
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 Tablespoons sour cream
- 3 Tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Paprika for color, optional
Preheat oven to 350º F.
Lightly brown chicken breasts seasoned with salt and pepper in 1 tablespoon of the butter, about 3 minutes per side. Set aside. (See Tip 1)
Steam broccoli for 5 minutes. Set aside. (See Tip 2)
To prepare cream sauce, heat remaining 3 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan. Add flour, and cook 2 minutes over medium heat, making sure that the flour does not brown. Gradually add milk, whisking or stirring constantly. Cook and whisk until mixture comes to a boil and is thickened and smooth. Add 1 teaspoon of salt, 1/4 teaspoon of pepper and 2 tablespoons of sour cream. Whisk until well combined.
Arrange broccoli, with the florets facing out in a casserole dish sprayed with non-stick spray. Place chicken in center of casserole dish. Pour sauce evenly over chicken. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and paprika. (See Tip 3)
Bake at 350º F for 25 to 30 minutes or until bubbly. Serve with yellow rice and green peas, crusty French bread and a chilled white wine such as chenin blanc or chardonnay. Yield: 4 servings. (See Tip 4)
- I like to cut the chicken breasts in half after they're cooked to make it easier to serve the Chicken Divan.
- If you don't have a steamer, you can boil the broccoli for 3 to 4 minutes and drain well.
- May be prepared in advance up to this point and refrigerated.
- This is also delicious with Mushroom Risotto.
Calories: 344kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 102mg | Sodium: 515mg | Potassium: 744mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 1160IU | Vitamin C: 76.9mg | Calcium: 220mg | Iron: 1.2mg