Southern Watermelon Granita
Southern Watermelon Granita is the perfect cool-down treat for these hot summer days. This three ingredient granita is as refreshing as it is show-stoping gorgeous!
Servings: 10 servings
- 8 cups seedless watermelon chunks (1/2 seedless watermelon) (See Tip 1)
- 3/4 cup (6-ounces) frozen limeade concentrate, thawed
- 1 1/2 cups (12-ounces) Sprite or 7-Up (See Tip 2)
Working in batches, place watermelon in food processor fitted with a steel blade or blender. Purée until watery and smooth, 6 to 7 pulses. (See Tip 3)
Add limeade concentrate and Sprite; stir to combine.
Pour into 9 x 13-inch pan. Place in freezer until mixture begins to freeze around the edges.
With a fork, draw ice from the edges towards the center. Return to the freezer, and then repeat this process about 3-4 times, every 30 minutes, or until all of the granita mixture is formed of ice crystals. (See Tip 4)
Serve frozen. Yield: 10 servings. (See Tips 5 and 6)
- The easiest way to cut a watermelon is to first cut it in half. Then, place one of the halves cut-side down on a cutting board. Cut 1 to 1 1/2-inch vertical slices through the watermelon. Next, turn the watermelon 90° and cut 1 to 1 1/2-inch vertical slices to form a crosshatch pattern. This produces watermelon “sticks” that are then a piece of cake to cut into cubes!
- I used regular Sprite. However, you could also use sugar-free Sprite or 7-Up.
- Because of its high water content, watermelon doesn't take much processing to purée it. However, be careful not to over-fill the food processor or blender. Otherwise, it'll overflow and make a mess. Depending on the size of your food processor or blender, it's better to purée the watermelon in several stages.
- Rather than fool with shaving the ice every 30 minutes or so, you can just freeze the whole pan of granita. Once it's frozen, draw a fork over the granita until all of the mixture is formed of ice crystals.
- Store granita ice crystals in the freezer in Ziploc bag or covered container.
- For variation, use the watermelon granita mixture to make popsicles!
Calories: 59kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 5mg | Potassium: 136mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 690IU | Vitamin C: 10.4mg | Calcium: 9mg | Iron: 0.3mg