Wonton Mac & Cheese Bites
Wonton Mac & Cheese Bites take the ultimate comfort food to new levels. They are the perfect appetizer for young and old. Three-cheese macaroni and cheese is packaged in a crispy wonton cup and topped with melted cheese and crumbled bacon. What’s even better is that they can be made ahead of time, frozen and reheated just in time to WOW your friends and family.
Servings: 48 Mac & Cheese Bites
- 48 Wonton Wrappers
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 ounces cream cheese, room temperature (See Tip 1)
- 1 cup (8 ounces) milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Gruyère cheese (See Tip 2)
- 4 slices bacon cooked, drained and crumbled
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Brush cups of mini-muffin pan with half of vegetable oil. Press wonton wrappers into mini-muffin pan cups. Brush with remaining vegetable oil. Bake for 6 minutes or until lightly brown. Set aside. (See Tip 3)
Cook macaroni in salted boiling water for 7 minutes. Drain in colander. Transfer to large mixing bowl.
While macaroni is still hot, add butter and cream cheese. Stir to melt butter and cream cheese and evenly coat macaroni.
Add milk and egg; stir to evenly coat macaroni.
Add dry mustard, 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper; stir to combine.
Add 1 1/2 cups Cheddar cheese and Gruyère cheese; stir to combine.
Spoon macaroni mixture into wonton wrappers in mini-muffin pan. Top with reserved Cheddar cheese and crumbled bacon. (See Tip 4)
Bake in preheated 350° F oven for 12 to 15 minutes, or until wontons are golden brown, the tops are and bubbly and the macaroni is set.
Remove from oven; cool 5 minutes before removing from pan to wire rack to continue cooling.
May be served hot or warm, refrigerated and reheated, or frozen and reheated. (See Tip 5)
Yield: 48 Wonton Mac & Cheese Bites. (See Tip 6)
- I used regular cream cheese, but you could also use low-fat cream cheese.
- You could use Emmental, Jarlsberg or Fontina cheese in place of the Gruyère cheese.
- To easily fit the wonton wrappers into the mini-muffin cups, cut 1/2-inch slits on opposite sides. This allows wonton wrappers to better overlap and fit into the mini-muffin cups.
- I used a 2-teaspoon or #100 ice cream scoop to fill the wonton cups. It was the perfect size.
- The Wonton Mac & Cheese Bites can be served hot or warm. Also, they can be made ahead of time, frozen and reheated for 5 minutes in a 350° F oven.
- For a variation of these delicious Mac & Cheese bites, you can skip the wonton wrappers and spoon the macaroni and cheese filling directly into oiled mini-muffin cups. Top with Cheddar cheese mixed with Panko bread crumbs and bake at 350° F for 20 to 25 minutes.
Calories: 90kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 15mg | Sodium: 100mg | Potassium: 36mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 110IU | Calcium: 64mg | Iron: 0.4mg