Halloween Nutella Cinnamon Roll Ring
Halloween Nutella Cinnamon Roll Ring - the name says it all! I filled these awesome cinnamon rolls with Nutella rather than the traditional butter and sugar. Then, I topped the cinnamon roll ring with a luscious Halloween themed buttercream frosting. I finished it with a drizzle of melted chocolate.
Servings: 10 servings
Cinnamon Roll Dough
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup whole milk, or enough which when added to eggs equals a total of 6.25 ounces (See Tip 1)
- ½ cup (4 ounces, 1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- ¼ cup (1.75 ounces) granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons Kosher salt
- 2 ½ cups (12.5 ounces) bread flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons instant yeast
Cinnamon Roll Filling
- ¾ cup Nutella
- 1 ½ Tablespoons ground cinnamon
- ¾ cup (6 ounces, 1 ½ sticks) salted butter (See Tip 2)
- 3 cups (12 ounces) confectioners' sugar
- 1 Tablespoon whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Orange gel food coloring (See Tip 3)
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted for drizzling
Cinnamon Roll Dough
Place cinnamon roll dough ingredients in pan of bread machine in order listed. Program on dough cycle. When dough cycle is finished, transfer dough to floured surface. Pat into 1-inch rectangle. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. (See Tip 4)
Remove from refrigertor; place on floured surface. Roll out to rectangle that is 8 inches by 16 inches. Spread with Nutella to within ½-inch of long edge. Sprinkle on cinnamon.
Starting on long side, roll into a log; press seam. Cut into 12 1 ¼-inch pieces. Discard two end pieces.
Line a 10-inch cast iron skillet or cake pan with parchment paper. Arrange 10 cinnamon rolls in circle around edges of pan. Place 4-inch metal pastry cutter in center of pan. Cover pan with plastic wrap. Allow to rise in a warm location until doubled in size, about 1 hour. (See Tip 5)
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Brush top of cinnamon roll ring with egg wash. Bake in prehetred oven for 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven; allow to cool in pan for 5 minutes. Remove metal pastry cutter. Invert onto wire rack; remove parchment paper. Invert again on wire rack. Allow to cool completely.
Beat room temperature butter in large bowl on high until very pale and light and fluffy, at least 5 minutes. Sift in half of confectioners' sugar; add milk and vanilla. Beat on high for 3 minutes. Sift in remaining confectioners' sugar; beat on high for 3 additional minutes.
Add gel food coloring. Beat on high to thoroughly incorporate coloring into buttercream frosting.
Spread buttercream frosting on cinnamon roll ring, allowing frosting to drip down the center and sides. Smooth frosting on top. (See Tip 6)
Add chocolate chips to pastry bag or ziploc bag. Microwave on 50% power in 30 second increments until melted. Snip off tip of bag; drizzle onto top of cinnamon roll ring in circular fashion.
Drag toothpick from center of cinnamon roll ring to outside in 1-inch increments to create a web effect.
Yield: 10 servings.
- I always weigh my ingredients to ensure the right proportions of wet versus dry. There is a lot of variability in the weight of a large egg. Therefore I add enough milk to bring the total weight of the eggs and milk up to 6.25 ounces.
- I used salted butter for the buttercream because salt cuts down some of the sweetness. If you use unsalted butter, add ¼ teaspoon of salt.
- I would recommend against using liquid food coloring here. It can negatively impact both the flavor and the consistency of the frosting. You can purchase gel food coloring at a hobby store or Walmart.
- Because of the amount of butter in the dough, it really needs to both rest and cool in the refrigerator before rolling it out. If you refrigerate it overnight, remove it about an hour before you want to roll it out to let it warm slightly.
- To produce the perfect environment for the dough to rise, turn on electric oven for exactly 1 minute and 45 seconds.
- You can easily smooth out buttercream frosting by using a spatula or knife that has been heated in a glass of hot water and wiped dry with a paper towel.
Calories: 673kcal | Carbohydrates: 86g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 34g | Saturated Fat: 23g | Cholesterol: 105mg | Sodium: 509mg | Potassium: 173mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 59g | Vitamin A: 800IU | Calcium: 73mg | Iron: 2mg