Lentil and Sausage Soup
Lentil and Sausage Soup is both hearty and delicious. This one pot meal is a snap to make, freezes beautifully, and is packed full of vegetables and protein. It’s definitely comfort in a bowl!
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch pieces rounds
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 1 to 2 celery stalks, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 large carrot, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 small zucchini, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces (about 3/4 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 48 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- 28 ounce can petit diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 cups dry lentils rinsed
Cook sausage in Dutch Oven over medium heat. Drain well on paper towels pressing as much grease from the sausage as possible. Pour fat from Dutch Oven, and wipe with paper towels. Return to medium heat.
Add onions, celery, carrots, and zucchini to Dutch Oven. Cook stirring frequently to loosen the bits from the cooked sausage for about 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook 30 seconds or until fragrant.
Add chicken broth, tomatoes, salt, pepper, basil, oregano, and thyme; stir to combine ingredients.
Add lentils. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Cover and reduce heat to low.
Simmer for about 1 hour, or until the lentils are tender. Add more water or broth if necessary for desired consistency.
Correct the seasonings. If desired, sprinkle with parmasean cheese. Serve.
Yield: 8 servings.
Calories: 342kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 40mg | Sodium: 836mg | Potassium: 772mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1430IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 49mg | Iron: 4mg