Cheesy Southwestern Chicken Pasta
Cheesy Southwestern Chicken Pasta - the name for this amazing one-dish wonder says it all! Imagine the marriage of succulent chicken in a creamy southwestern sauce with tender pasta topped with ooey gooey cheese. It doesn't get much better than this.
Servings: 8 servings15
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped onion (1 medium onion)
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped (See Tip 1)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pound (16 ounces) skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 10 ounce can Rotel Original diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 8 ounces dried penne, cooked al dente according to package directions (See Tip 2)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded extra sharp Cheddar cheese (See Tip 3)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Melt butter in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and bell peppers. Sauté 8 minutes or until tender. Add garlic, cook 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add chicken, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Cook until chicken is no longer pink, 8 to 10 minutes.
Sprinkle 3 tablespoons of flour on chicken mixture; stir to combine. Cook 2 minutes. Add milk and Rotel tomatoes. Cook, stirring constantly over medium heat until thickened. Add corn and cooked pasta. Stir to combine.
Spray 2-1/2 quart casserole dish with non-stick spray. Transfer chicken/pasta mixture to casserole dish. Cover with aluminum foil. May be prepared in advance up to this point.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake chicken/pasta casserole, covered for 20 to 25 minutes. (See Tip 4)
Remove from oven; remove aluminum foil. Sprinkle top with cheeses. Return to oven for 15 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is melted.
Yield: 8 servings. (See Tip 5)
- I like to use a combination of green and red bell peppers because of the color. However, you could use 1 cup of chopped green bell pepper instead.
- I used Penne pasta in this dish, but you could use any pasta of your choice such as rotini, ziti, etc.
- Feel free to use regular Cheddar cheese or sharp Cheddar cheese in place of the extra sharp Cheddar cheese.
- If you prepare this dish in advance and refrigerate it, cook covered for 25 minutes. If you cook it immediately, reduce the time to 20 minutes.
- This makes excellent leftovers. Reheat in the microwave for several minutes, or in a preheated 350°F oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Calories: 387kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 80mg | Sodium: 456mg | Potassium: 563mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 951IU | Vitamin C: 26mg | Calcium: 287mg | Iron: 2mg