Crunchy Cheese Wafers
Crunchy Cheese Wafers are buttery and crispy like cheese straws with the crunch supplied by Rice Krispies. These little morsels are totally addictive and make the perfect appetizer for any occasion. Bet you can’t eat just one!
Servings: 6 dozen wafers
- 1 cup (8-ounces, 2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups (8-ounces) shredded extra sharp Cheddar cheese (See Tip 1)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¾ teaspoon Kosher salt (See Tip 2)
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups (10-ounces) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (2-ounces) Rice Krispies
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Beat butter, cheese, salt, Worcestershire sauce and cayenne pepper in a large bowl with electric mixer on high speed until smooth and creamy. Add flour; beat on low just until incorporated.
Add Rice Krispies; work with pastry blender or hands until well incorporated.
Using a small ice cream scoop or tablespoon, drop dough onto parchment lined baking sheet, leaving 2-inches between wafers. Roll into balls with damp hands. Flatten with damp fingers. (See Tip 3)
Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 16 to 18 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Store in air-tight container.
Yield: 6 dozen Crunchy Cheese Wafers.
- I like to use extra sharp Cheddar cheese in making these wafers because of the depth of flavor. However, you could also use regular or sharp Cheddar cheese.
- I always use Kosher salt in recipes. However, you could also use regular table salt. However, you would need to reduce the amount of salt to ½ teaspoon.
- I always use dampened hands and fingers to form the dough for the cheese wafers. The reason is to prevent the dough from sticking to my hands.
Calories: 51kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 10mg | Sodium: 49mg | Potassium: 9mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 165IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 24mg | Iron: 1mg