Candied Almonds are slightly sweet with a hint of cinnamon and an amazing crunch. These tasty morsels are totally addictive.
Servings: 12 servings
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup (7 ounces) granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon (See Tip 1)
- 2 cups (10 ounces) raw, unblanched almonds
Whisk together water, sugar and cinnamon in a large saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat.
Cook and stir the almond mixture until the liquid evaporates and leaves a crystalized coating on the almonds, about 10 minutes. (See Tips 2, 3 and 4)
Pour candied almonds onto parchment lined baking sheet and spread out. After about 15 minutes of cooling, taste to determine whether almond has sufficient crunch. If more crunch is desired, bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 15 to 20 minutes, turning half-way through, until desired crunch is achieved. (See Tip 5)
Cool completely and store in an air-tight container.
Yield: About 3 cups of Candied Almonds
[web_stories_embed url="https://pudgefactor.com/web-stories/candied-almonds" title="Candied Almonds" poster="" width="360" height="600" align="center"]
- May use up to a tablespoon of ground cinnamon for a stronger cinnamon taste. Personally, however, I prefer the more subtle taste that 1 ½ teaspoons of cinnamon produces.
- After about 5 minute lower the heat to medium low ensure that the sugar and almonds don't burn.
- After about 8 minutes of cooking, the liquid mixture will start to thicken. At this point, stir constantly. The transformation of the sugar crystalizing onto the almonds occurs very quickly.
- It's imperative that you let all of the liquid evaporate. Otherwise you won't achieve the proper coating of the almonds.
- If you continue cooking the almonds after the sugar mixture has crystalized, the crystals will melt, coating the almonds in a hard caramel coating. The almonds are equally delicious if you allow them to caramelize.
- Even if your Candied Almonds are crunchy enough for your taste, I would recommend going this extra step of placing them in the oven. The result is a toasted almond covered in the sugar/cinnamon coating. Delicious!
Calories: 202kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1mg | Potassium: 168mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 18g | Calcium: 65mg | Iron: 1mg