Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole is brimming with eggs, sausage and cheese making it a perfect one dish meal for any occasion.
Servings: 8 servings.
- 16 ounces (about 4 cups) frozen tater tots, cooked according to package directions (See Tip 1)
- 16 ounces bulk breakfast sausage (See Tip 2)
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup) (See Tip 3)
- 2 medium jalapeño peppers, seeds and membrane removed, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup) See Tip 3)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 5 large eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup half and half (See Tip 4)
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese (See Tip 5)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Colby Jack cheese (See Tip 6)
Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a shallow 2 1/2 quart casserole dish or 9 x 13-inch baking dish with non-stick spray. Set aside.
Brown sausage over medium heat, about 10 minutes. Drain well on paper towels.
Wipe out skillet used to brown the sausage with paper towels. Melt butter over medium heat. Add onions, red bell peppers and jalapeño peppers; sauté until tender, 7 to 8 minutes. Add garlic. Cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Transfer vegetables to a bowl to cool.
Whisk together eggs, milk, half and half, salt and pepper in a large measuring cup or bowl. Add cooked vegetables and 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese.
Add tater tots to prepared casserole dish. Top with cooked sausage. Pour egg custard mixture over tater tots and sausage. Spread to even out.
Cover casserole dish with aluminum foil and bake in preheated 350°F oven for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and remove aluminum foil. Sprinkle on 1 cup of shredded Colby Jack cheese. Return, uncovered to 350°F oven for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Yield: 8 servings. (See Tip 7)
- Although my preference is to cook the tater tots before adding them to the casserole, you can either cook the tater tots according to package directions or add them uncooked to the casserole. Either way, the tater tots tend to disintegrate somewhat adding a delicious texture to the casserole.
- I like to use Jimmy Dean Hot sausage, but feel free to use whatever sausage you like.
- Feel free to use a green bell pepper in place of the red bell pepper and/or the jalapeño peppers.
- You can substitute 1/4 cup of milk in place of the half and half, making a total of 1 cup of milk to be added.
- I like the tang of extra sharp cheddar cheese, but feel free to use whatever cheese you prefer.
- You can use the same cheese on top of the casserole as you use in the casserole if you like.
- Leftovers are excellent. I like to warm the leftovers in the microwave for a minute or two.
Calories: 516kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 38g | Saturated Fat: 17g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 204mg | Sodium: 966mg | Potassium: 478mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 1201IU | Vitamin C: 29mg | Calcium: 335mg | Iron: 2mg