Hold the Cone Copycat
When you don’t want to drive 200 miles to the nearest Trader Joe’s for a box of Hold the Cones, stay home and make your own!
Servings: 12 Copycat Hold the Cones
- 12 store-bought sugar cones (See Tip 1)
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips (See Tip 2)
- 2 Tablespoons Coconut oil
- 1 pint (2 cups) vanilla ice cream (See Tip 3)
Cut small holes in bottom of egg cups of styrofoam egg carton with x-acto knife or a small paring knife. (See Tip 4)
Carefully cut sugar cones to about 3-inches. Discard scraps. "Sand" rough edges of cones using the underside of a small wire mesh strainer. Place cones upright in prepared styrofoam egg carton.
Place chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwave-safe dish. Microwave at 50% power in 30 second increments, stirring after each 30 seconds, until chocolate is melted (about 1 minute and 30 seconds total). Stir magic shell mixture until smooth and liquidity.
Add about a teaspoon of the magic shell to a mini-cone. Swirl to completely coat the inside. Repeat with remaining cones. Freeze until firm, about 15 minutes.
Place softened ice cream in piping bag fitted with #12 round tip. Pipe ice cream into prepared mini-cones, filling the cone to about a 1-inch mound. Freeze for about an hour or until ice cream is firm. (See Tip 5)
Microwave magic shell at 50% power for 15 seconds to very slightly reheat You want the magic shell to be liquidity, but not hot. Dip cones into magic shell, allowing excess to drip off. Place upright in egg carton. Freeze until magic shell is completely hardened, about 15 minutes.
Yield: 12 Copycat Hold the Cones
- Do not use store-bought waffle cones. Rather, use the regular sugar cones.
- May also use milk chocolate chips.
- Use an ice cream flavor of your choice. However, avoid ice cream with large chunks in it because the chunks may clog the piping tip.
- Do not cut the holes in the egg carton too big. You want them large enough that they will hold the cones upright. The holes will enlarge somewhat when you put the cones in them.
- May also use a Ziploc bag with the corner cut off to pipe the ice cream.
Calories: 229kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 18mg | Sodium: 63mg | Potassium: 178mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 174IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 64mg | Iron: 1mg