Make-Ahead Strawberry Shortcake
Make-Ahead Strawberry Shortcake is super simple to make and amazingly delicious to eat. Use Bisquick sweetened with sugar to produce the shortcakes that are layered with a strawberry spread, whipped cream and and juicy strawberries to produce an unforgettable dessert.
Servings: 4 Servings
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 7 Tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon granulated sugar, divided
- 3 cups (15 ounces) Bisquick or other biscuit mix
- ½ cup plus 2 Tablespoons (5 ounces) milk
- 3 Tablespoons (1 ½ ounces) unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup Strawberry Simply Fruit or strawberry preserves
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon (4 ½ ounces) heavy cream, divided
- ¼ cup (1 ounce) confectioners' sugar
- 4 whole strawberries for garnish
Place sliced strawberries and 3 tablespoons of sugar in a bowl. Toss gently to combine. Set aside. (See Tip 1)
Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Set aside.
Place Bisquick and 3 tablespoons of sugar in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Pulse several times to combine. Add milk and melted butter. Pulse 5 or 6 times, or until a shaggy dough forms.
Turn out the shaggy dough onto a floured surface. Knead several times to form a cohesive dough. Roll to ½-inch thickness. Cut 3 ½-inch circles from dough. Gather scraps and repeat. Place on a parchment or silicone lined baking sheet. (See Tip 2)
Brush top of shortcakes with 1 tablespoon total of heavy cream. Sprinkle each shortcake with 1 teaspoon of granulated sugar. Bake in a preheated 425°F oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool. (See Tip 3)
Before making the whipped cream, place bowl and beaters in the freezer for 5 minutes. Add cream; beat on high until foamy. Gradually add confectioners' sugar, beating until soft peaks form. (See Tip 4)
To assemble, slice shortcake in half. Spread 1 tablespoon of the Simply Fruit on the bottom. Pipe some whipped cream over the Simply Fruit. Top with sliced strawberries. Place top of shortcake on strawberries. Pipe additional whipped cream on top. Garnish with whole strawberry if desired.
Yield: 4 servings.
- May be made in advance and refrigerated until ready to use.
- Even though the shortcake recipe will make 6 shortcakes, I only use 4 for the Strawberry Shortcake. I use the other 2 for another purpose.
- May be made in advance and stored in an air-tight container. I use a Ziploc bag.
- May be made several hours in advance and refrigerated.
Calories: 516kcal | Carbohydrates: 72g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 45mg | Sodium: 837mg | Potassium: 226mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 36g | Vitamin A: 508IU | Vitamin C: 30mg | Calcium: 156mg | Iron: 2mg