Patriotic Snack Mix Cones
Patriotic Snack Mix Cones are a perfect treat for your summer patriotic festivities. They're super simple to make and impressive enough for your pickiest eater.
Servings: 12 servings
- 12 store-bought waffle cones (See Tip 1)
- 12 ounce package (2 cups) bright white candy melting wafers, divided
- red, white and blue sprinkles
- 3 cups Rice Chex (See Tip 2)
- 2 cups Ity Bitty Mini Pretzels (See Tip 3)
- 1 ½ cups Cheerios
- 1 ¼ cups Cocktail Peanuts (See Tip 4)
- 1 cup Reese's minis
- 1 ½ cups red, white and blue M&M's, divided
- ½ cup royal blue candy melting wafers
- ½ cup red candy melting wafers
- 12 cone-shaped plastic bags
- 12 rubber bands
- Red, white and blue curling ribbon
Melt the candy melting wafers in the microwave on 50% power in 30 second intervals. Stir after each 30 second interval. (See Tip 5)
Dip the top of the waffle cones in melted mixture. Spoon sprinkles onto the melted candy wafers. Place cones in glasses or other vessels to allow to dry. Reserve remainder of melted candy wafers to coat snack mix.
Add Rice Chex, pretzels, Cheerios, nuts, Reese's minis and 1 cup of M&M's to a large bowl. Pour on remainder of melted candy melts. Stir to thoroughly coat all ingredients. Pour onto parchment paper and spread out. Top with all but 2 tablespoons of remaining M&M's.
Place blue and red candy melting wafers in piping bags or Ziploc bags. Microwave on 50% power in 30 second increments to melt. Snip a small piece from the bottom of the piping bags or from the corner of the Ziploc bag. Drizzle blue and red melted candy wafers over snack mix. Allow to dry.
Place decorated cone in plastic cone-shaped bag. Spoon in snack mix; sprinkle remainder of M&M's on top. (See Tip 6)
Secure top of bags with rubber bands and tie on ribbon.
Yield: 12 Patriotic Snack Mix Cones. (See Tip 7)
- May also use store-bought sugar cones. However, they will not hold as much of the snack mix as waffle cones.
- May use different Chex cereals in place of the Rice Chex.
- If you are unable to find the Ity Bitty Mini pretzels, you can use mini pretzels.
- Can use mixed nuts or dry roasted peanuts in place of the cocktail peanuts.
- The reason that I melted all of the candy wafers was that I needed enough of the mixture to easily dip the tops of the cones. Dipping the cones used 4 ounces of the mixture; the remaining 8 ounces of the mixture was used to coat the snack mix.
- I used a somewhat narrow glass to put the cone into before adding the snack mix. This made it easy to add the snack mix to the cone.
- You will have some snack mix leftover. Place in an air-tight container to enjoy later.
Calories: 570kcal | Carbohydrates: 73g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 5mg | Sodium: 463mg | Potassium: 259mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 44g | Vitamin A: 283IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 106mg | Iron: 5mg