Easy Mini Corn Dogs
Mini Corn Dogs are amazingly easy to make and a perfect treat for any time - think the delicious food that that you munch on at the fair and arts festivals! These mini corn dogs are, as the name suggests, a mini version of the every popular corn dogs from the fair and arts festivals, but in the comfort of your home.
Servings: 16 Mini Corn Dogs
- 1 pound (16-ounces) hot dogs of your choice
- 16 Wooden skewers (See Tip 1)
- 1 cup (5 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (6-ounces) yellow cornmeal
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup (8-ounces) buttermilk (See Tips 2 and 3)
- Vegetable oil for frying
Thoroughly dry the hot dogs and cut in half. Place the hot dogs on a wooden skewer. (See Tip 4)
Whisk together the flour, corn meal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the egg and buttermilk and whisk to combine. Pour the batter into a tall glass to make it easier to dip the skewered hot dogs. Allow the batter sit for 15-20 minutes.
Heat 2 to 3 inches oil to 375°F. Working in batches, dip each skewered hot dog into the batter and turn to evenly coat. Carefully add coated hot dog hot oil. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until golden brown. (See Tips 5 and 6)
Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.
- You need to be very careful if you use wooden skewers with a pointed end. If you're going to be serving these to children, you should probably break off the pointed end to avoid injury.
- You can make your own buttermilk by adding 1 tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice to 1 cup of milk. Stir and let sit for about 5 minutes.
- If the batter is too thick, add another tablespoon or two of the buttermilk.
- You can also use food-grade popsicle sticks or lollipop sticks. Just make sure that what you use is food-grade.
- The reason for working in batches is to ensure a consistent temperature of the oil.
- I used an electric fryer. You can also use a Dutch oven or large saucepan with a thermometer to ensure a consistent temperature of the oil.
Calories: 161kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 35mg | Sodium: 292mg | Potassium: 211mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 54IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 72mg | Iron: 2mg